Setting for 1/2”, 3/8”, 1/4”mild steel

I’m running a prime weld cut 60 with the PTM60 machine torch. I’m going to build the House Made 2x72 belt grinder. It has plate parts cut from the thicknesses above. I can use the book setting and run test squares to dial things in but I was hoping someone with real world experience might get me a bit closer. Amps, psi, ipm, cut height, pierce height and delay. I will report back with results and any adjustments and observations.

Thanks!

@BDuPuy Welcome to the forum

In the manual there is a cut chart you can get a user very close. Lots of prime weld users on the forum I’m sure one of them will be a long shortly with some experience.

Hopefully you’ll be able to get a answer that’s based on scientific evidence not an anecdotal evidence.

Lots of success cases on the forum of primeweld users cutting those material thicknesses.

1 Like

House Made 2x72 belt grinder is really cool! I opted to buy the Vevor 2x82 (will do the 2x72 mod) variable speed, should be here in a couple weeks…
Back to the issue at hand, I’ve cut those thicknesses with the chart settings as per PrimeWeld CUT60 manual. (Crossfire, MACH3). I suggest starting there, cut some test pieces at those settings and tweak as necessary.
My static pressure at the CUT60 is set to 85psig.
Pierce: 500ms
Plunge: 3.94ipm
Lead In / Lead Out: Arc
My water table level is always about 3/4" below the workpiece.

Thanks guys! I picked up some drops from a local fab shop. I’ll do a series of test squares and see how it goes. I will post up my results. I’m running the PTM 60 machine torch. I’ve got some standard consumables but would like to find some 60A shielded nozzles. The shielded nozzles definitely lasts longer if your doing a lot of pierces or thick stuff. I’m surprised they are not more widely available.

Bob

1 Like