Settin Z height properly

When I set my Z not using THC, I have been using the 1/16 shim to cut 3/16 plate. I set my torch down on the shim and call it Z zero. Cuts have not been great but were getting better. Last night I called the Z zero on the work surface instead of the top of the shim. My cut was way better and is quality i’m looking for. .06 cut height. So was I cutting at .125 earlier? Am I on the right track or did I get lucky, I don’t wanna melt my torch on 1/4" plate. Thanks for any input.

I cut 1/4 at .06. You should be golden you are more likely to ruin consumables cutting too high.

3 Likes

Are you sure you wasn’t using the wrong shim my mistake? What plasma are you using?

Why are you using a shim at all, with a powered Z axis?

The initial height sensing function works separately from the THC. They are completely separate systems and the THC is not what sets the initial height. The IHS system probes the Torch down and sets the Z zero. Then it raises to pierce height before starting the cut. IHS works whether you have a THC or not.

If you have a powered Z axis, you can start your program with the Torch anywhere from just above the metal up to the top of the Z axis limit.

3 Likes

I understand. Thanks. Im still figuring the system out. I do have THC. It was giving me some trouble so im just not using it til I have other things sorted. One thing at a time.

1 Like

You may want to check if you have the power z. Some have to program a different cut height to get .o6. You can stop mid cut and measure your actual cut height. I am not at my computer but I have a program that was cammed in sheetcam that will cycle your z to a cut height of .06.

1 Like

I do have power Z as I can jog up and down. I’ll stop mid cut and check the height with a shim gauge and adjust accordingly. Thank you.

1 Like

You can turn off the THC and the IHS system will still be active. It just won’t adjust the height during cutting and you won’t get voltage lost errors.

1 Like