Rough Edges...?

Hoping someone can assist with an issue I’m having. I’ve search for guidance prior to posting this.

I’m cutting .125 aluminum at 40 amps and a travel speed of 100ipm. The majority of the cuts are decent but I’m getting very rough edges on the inner lettering. Watching the machine it looks like its jerking a bit instead of moving smooth (in the areas pictured below). I’m assuming my problem is in the sketch file since I’ve checked the table to for any loose hardware, play…etc. The lines in the sketch are constant, not a bunch of little straight lines so im not sure whats happening. Ive posted a few pics below of what I’m trying to resolve. Any input is appreciated. I’ve only had the machine set up for a few days, this is all new to me.

Can you post the file?

The Gcode file? like after copying to notepad?

The dxf file

I’ll try, that might be it below. Haven’t done this before.
MOM.dxf (184.1 KB)

Are you using fusion to post process?

Yes I am, appreciate your help as well.

The file is a bit rough I assume its a conversion from a image but its not too bad.
I made two files one with smoothing and one without and the one without smoothing was 17000 lines of code compared to 1200 with smoothing.
With all those lines your torch is going to be slowing down for all those curves causing what you’re seeing.
Aluminum cuts so quick the arc is going to be searching for something to cut while its slowing down.

Maybe just do a dry run with you plasma cutter shut off and watch your torch speed while its cutting and see what its doing. Also make another file with smoothing turned on and it should clean it up quite a bit.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Ya, it was a picture. Wife asked me to try to cut it. I sent the pic to someone on Fivvr and for 10 bucks they sent me back a dxf. Im not trying to steal anyones work or sell this stuff. I bought the table to cut simple things for all my car projects. Still learning the software. At this point im about 1% compitant with fusion 360 after watching all the video tutorials.

Don’t have to pay someone to convert files itspretty easy to do. If it’s a decent picture convertio does a decent job of converting to a svg or dxf file. That’s just a web based converter.
Another way is using Inkscape and that is a free download and lots of you tube videos on how to use it.

2 Likes

If your still having problems. I missed tightening the screws on the plastic lead screw things. It’s like a little track. Double check those. The thing in the instructions where it says to make sure to pull back on the white part to prevent damage to the lead screw when you first insert it.

Yeah, too many nodes in the file. I’ve only come across a couple of png files that were large enough to convert via bitmap tracing. It’s easier for me to just trace new rather than clean up the paths now.

1 Like