Retrofit fire control onto other brands

so i run a shop that currently has a delusional designs freedom series 4x8 and the machine is currently held together with my tears, hopes and dreams. i have been using an XR recently while my table is down, and the software is good. i guess my question is, is there any way to retrofit the new hardware onto an old plasma table? the only thing i can see being an issue from what i have to the upgrade kit that LS currently sells for the crossfire is that my table isnt lead screw, it is direct drive. is there a backdoor way to change these settings in the firecontrol software? if not maybe LS might be able to start selling retrofit kits if they add the capability in for this. A simple calibration setting into the software would make this possible.

Welcome to the forum.

I saw a post within the last couple of months where someone described changing the steps per inch value using a GRBL control program. Search for that. Firecontrol uses GRBL engine with modifications, but the parameter registers seem to be the same as a standard system.

3 Likes

I believe this is the link you were referring to:

This is just the start of the discussion.

@ChelanJim , Yes, that’s the one. The point being is that a CrossFire Gen 2 control unit could be moved to another CNC table even if the Lead screw pitch is different because the GRBL parameters ‘tune’ the system to move a certain distance for a given number of steps.

1 Like

Thank you guys! That is very helpful information. I’m very familiar with grbl. My current table runs on an arduino loaded with gerbl and I’ve had to replace it many a time

1 Like