Retirement Gift for Canyonlands Park Superintendent

A very good friend of mine, who has a very close association with Canyonlands National Park, realized, after seeing that I had a CNC Plasma cutter, that we could make a nice gift for the current Park Superintendent who is retiring next week.

He suggested that a silhouette of Druid Arch, a difficult to find, but very imposing natural arch, would be appropriate. Fortunately I had a fairly nice and high contrast photo of the arch that I took on a trip in 2005. So…
Here’s the arch:

and here is the gift:

Enjoy!

7 Likes

That’s a super one of a kind gift. Excellent choice of photo to yield what will be instantly recognizable to him.

Thanks, but a minor yet important correction is that it is a ‘her’, Kate Cannon, National Park Superintendent for the last 14 years. This was fun to do both because it was a fun project and, through my friend, I’ve had a pretty good association with Canyonlands for the last 20 or so years. Consequently, I was MORE than willing to do this!

2 Likes

Camped at Canyonlands this past summer on my way back from Seattle and Glacier NP. Was the only one of the big five I’ve not been to - was glad to get there finally. Beautiful place! And a very fine gift!

Yeah, nice place to visit. Been there several times, the last trip was a bit crazy, however, with 10 of us going in for 10 days. The ages ranged from 8 to 80, with the 80 year old guiding us! The trip was our birthday present to the 80 year old…
Here’s one of the vehicles almost packed…

3 Likes