Resuming cuts after torch misfires

I have been mostly learning with my crossfire pro + razor weld, working out the kinks and tuning things. I noticed that I have had a handful of random misfires of the torch, where fire control tells me to check grounding clamps, connections, etc.

When those events happen, I have been just restarting the cuts. It’s small parts and no big deal.

I have my first big project coming up where I will be doing cuts on full sheets of 1/4" steel plate. I’m concerned about a misfire or error, and wasting that sheet. Is there something I can do to have the program resume from a certain spot? I figured I can just resume and clean up any gaps between the error and resume spot in the program.

very easy…

any time something goes wrong…other than a complete program freeze…you can stop the program…or if an error pops up you can click anywhere on the screen and it will ask to start from loop or from point…it will then reload the program from that point…

TBH I didn’t really read the error message, but I recall telling the program to “resume” or something similar, and it continued to not fire properly. I assumed it was because the place it was trying to resume and fire the torch from was already cut and therefor causing issues with finding the ground. Restarting the entire cut always seemed to resolve it.

I guess I should pay more attention to that situation. So, can I move the torch to any point in the program, and tell it to “start from here”? Meaning, it would just pierce and resume from any point?

Let me know if I am talking nonsense here.

I can take a file load it into FC and then set it up and ask it to start cutting at any point…

now this is a concern…the error message is there to help you…have you ever ignored the red engine lite in your car?

YES!!!

1 Like

You can also click a spot on drawing in firecontrol and it will bring up that line in program.

1 Like

It helps me on complicated cuts, to click and drag the area I want to start cutting to the middle of the display window, then scroll the mouse wheel to zoom in. This way I can start my cut on any node I want, or just click the green travel path to the start of a cut and have it start straight from that lead-in. Fire control was upgraded this last spring to really make our lives easy on this.

On really expensive metal, I worry about missing a tip up and the torch moving my sheet, so I like to manually fire a single peirce right at the x-y zero point, then another half way down the x 0 or y 0 line. That way if the sheet moves, I can send the torch to xy0 and move the sheet back to where it is supposed to be, then slide the torch to my other hole to make sure the sheet is still square with where it started. Most of the time I don’t need this, but it gives me a little extra confidence that I can fix things if they all go sideways and not completely lose the sheet. This trick also helps me on the rare days that firecontrol crashes and loses my xy0 point. I can still find where everything should be after my reboot, and just start the program where it crashed.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes