Recovering from a tip up crash

So I snagged on a tip up while cutting yesterday, so I figured I’d make a video on how I recover from this. I have explained this in words a few times, but a video always makes it easier… It’s my first video, so I fumble a bit, swear (not to bad), so take it easy on me! LOL

2 Likes

I like the idea of using a spent Torch nozzle as a guide, but it occurred to me as you were trying to spot the tip, the same spent consumables could be combined with a laser dot diode, which are pretty inexpensive (eg, https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-10pcs-650nm-Diode-Laser/dp/B071FT9HSV), with the dot shining through the nozzle opening, would be bright enough and collimated enough to provide a fairly readable and accurate aligner. I have a pile of those diodes ‘somewhere’ in my stash, I’ll see if I can mock up something to show later today.

1 Like

That would be cool as well! No batteries required the way I do it :slight_smile: But I like it!

And if you wanted to go even farther with this idea then we could make a bracket that sits on the torch holder somehow and shines the laser on the steel with just a certain offset then you could either add or subtract that offset from the number that you want, then you could recover without having to take your torch off?

1 Like

Well, you can get diodes that produce lines and put one on each side of the torch holder to provide an exact crosshair at the intersection. I’ve thought of doing that but figured the diode would get pretty dirty real quick! The neat thing about using the spent consumable is that the beam follows the exact path of the plasma (theoretically speaking, since I haven’t tested it :wink:

1 Like

All great stuff! I’d like one that I just raise my torch, slip it over the consumable already there, turn it on, line it up, off to the races! Damn, your gonna make me build one…

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see what you come up with. haha

I just ran a quick experiment with a 5mw diode and there is MORE than enough light through the 1.0 nozzle I have to see a very small spot. The diode had to be lined up with the hole, but it’s not critical alignment. A simple 3D print job would take care of that AND provide a battery holder :smiley:
The issue I see is that the retaining cup rocks until it’s clamped down, it would be nice if the clamp held it a little steadier without tightening it down.

2 Likes

That is where a bracket mounted to the side of the torch mount pointing to where the plasma torch cuts the metal may work also? then you don’t have to remove your torch?

in the video looks like you clamp your work on last slat on x side. Do you have a mark for the y or does that not matter when you input coordinates. Really like the drill in the cup. Not that big a deal to remove torch if you save a large piece

1 Like

If you slightly rock it as you tighten it down, you will find the sweet spot everytime… Old machinist trick, if you know how to correctly use a telescoping gage, setting that cup is easy…

1 Like

I have a line burned in the slats from repeated cutting, but I usually bump the carriage right up to the bracket in small steps, then make sure my material is where it needs to be… Then I clamp the one corner, if it snags, I just straighten the piece… It rarely ever comes off the Y location, but the machine thinking it’s moving while not actually moving is what the problem is, hence why we have to relocate it… I could add limit switches and homing but… I’ve thought about it, actually have it all wired for it inside the box, I’m just to busy cutting these days and I don’t encounter the problem often enough.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try it! My problem is that I don’t know any old machinsts! :smile:

1 Like