Recommended practice for flattening slats?

As a CrossFire newbie, I’ve done enough test samples to tune my system, but now my slats are chewed up and have some slag (is that the ‘technical’ term?) that won’t easily knock off. What is the accepted practice for flattening the slats? The obvious choice is my angle grinder, but before I attack my bed, I thought I’d ask the experts.

BTW, I’m a woodworker in a woodworking shop so I don’t have a mill to make the slats pretty and new again… :slightly_smiling_face:

well being a wood worker you know you don’t need machines to make parts. machines make speed not quality. same here. Most of what’s stuck on is pretty soft you can file the faces flat on a table then hold them together to file the tops flat and even like you might with a rasp or a plane in wood. it’s not necessary to have them perfect but they should be able to hold a piece on the same plane across the whole slat bed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! To be honest, I had simply looked at the table and saw the build up and thought that it was a combination of steel, SS, and Aluminum, as I’ve been cutting all of these and it looked pretty daunting. On your suggestion, I tried to manually scrap off a bit of it and it turns out most of the build up was from the Aluminum splatter that peels off pretty easily. Then I went around and really didn’t find any serious steel build up so I may just scrape it off every few jobs. Then as it really gets worn, rework based on your suggestions, then rearrange the slats as necessary until they’re all chewed up and have to be replaced (probably not very often at my expected usage rate).

I did see on PlasmaSpider (https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=15504#p88175) this suggestion, https://www.harborfreight.com/compact-air-needle-scaler-96997.html, which looked inexpensive enough to try. Any thoughts?

Re my woodworking, I’m more a Norm Abrams rather than Roy Underhill kind of guy :grinning: I do use handtools, but only for the fine work…

1 Like

For as often as I have to do it I don’t want a special tool. I use an angle grinder with a twist wire brush. I hate them really but it’s quick and the brushes last.

I use the piss out of my Crossfire and rarely worry about the slats. If they’re chewed up with slag all over the sides and big divets cut out of them, it won’t affect how sheets of metal sit across the plane. For those times when a chunk of metal or dross is left sitting on top of the slat and I can’t knock it off with a blunt tool or chisel, I’ll use an angle grinder with a flap disk. Even if I got overzealous with the grinder and it were to leave a slight impression in the metal an inch or so long, it wouldn’t affect how the sheet sits overall.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the perspectives!

Wire wheel on a bench grinder, maybe?