Razorweld Razorcut 45 Slightly Perplexed

To no fault of Lanmuir the Razorweld Razorcut 45 documentation is somewhat lacking however they have chosen to pair it with their system.

My question is the most basic level. What amp breaker? What amp breaker sets what size wire.

It is east say 45 amp output put it on a 50 ampt circuit . It looks like a 50 amp plug.

And here is the my issue the cable attached to the Razorweld Razorcut 45 is a 12 g cable. Kinda Odd

The bottom of the units states 32.2 amps which exceeds 12 gauge wire.

Interesting huh?

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I’ve forwarded your question to Razorweld to get an official response, but in the mean time I will provide my own thoughts.

Each hot wire can carry 15 amps, so the power cable is good for 30 amps. The 32.2 max amperage would theoretically occur at 100% duty cycle with the machine set to 45 amps. However, the cutter has overload protection to shut down before the duty cycle is exceeded. In other words, the actual max current load on the power cable should be significantly less than 30 amps under any and all circumstances.

As far as breaker selection, I would strongly recommend running a 40 amp circuit or bigger. If the overload protection were to somehow fail, I would not want it to start a fire within the walls of my garage. It’s likely that this would be Razorwelds official response as well.

@gamblegarage Since you are a dealer, do you have any further insight?

If I may offer some insight, just suggestion. 12 AWG SO cord is rated for less than 20 amps continuous. The machine will have inrush at torch firing and then instantly drops in to the setting. Regardless of how many amps a machine can draw, the circuit breaker (a heat activated device) is to protect the actual conductors being used. If too large a breaker is used, the wire may just melt and catch fire before tripping (if ever). A little research or checking with your electrician can be helpful. In my personal shop I have 12 AWG soild wire in every outlet on a 20 amp breaker. My extension cords of the same size are 25 or 30 amp breakers.
my 40 Amp Hobart 625 says 230V 30A Max 21A Eff. Been on a 30 amp breaker with 8ga wire for 10 years, never tripped.

Best, Steve.

3 Likes

Excellent point, the breaker needs to trip before the wires in the wall burn up. In my previous post, I should have clarified that the wires running to the breaker must be appropriately sized for the breaker rating.

2 Likes

Langmuir-megan.

Your statement of each hot wire carrying 15 amps, so the cable is good for 30 is incorrect. Both wires carry the full amperage it is not halfed. This is a 240v machine, and amperage is not 1/2 because of this.

razorweld

In looking at the spec sheet, it states the power is 5.5 kilo-volts amps or 5500 volt amps. It does not specify if this is output or input but my presumption is this is normal output current. Taking 5500 / 240v (which is standard voltage in north america) you get 22.91 amps.

The machine does have efficiency losses when running. These are not listed, but other similar machines are normally around 90% efficient. That derives 25.46 amps to run the machine at full tilt. I suspect the label stating the 32.2 amps is how much current will pass during a dead short situation (the “max” designation)

I will run the machine off my currently installed breaker at 30 amps (the old electric dryer circuit in my garage) and I am confident all will be just fine. I will likely cut off the plug and install the matching one for my configuration.

The 12 gauge wire does not surprise me. My other plasma cutter, with similar amperage is the same. National electric codes and wire gauges have a lot to do with wires being buried in insulation and having 150 foot runs. This cord is likely 6-10 feet, runs only at intermittent use, and will not have any appreciable voltage drop.

4 Likes

Can someone tell me what plug comes on this welder, or post a picture?
Thanks!

It’s up in the FAQs on the main site. It looks like a standard 3 prong plug (a little beefier but 2 parallel prongs and a 3rd ground pin) but you’ll want a 6-50R outlet on a 50A circuit. That also looks like a standard outlet except it’s in a bigger enclosure typically.

You’ll need either 6 or 8 guage 2 strand + ground wire. There isn’t a need for a 3rd wire (neutral) as the outlet is only good for 240V (3 strand can be used to pull a 120V circuit as well.

You can go smaller, maybe. But skimping here can be a fire hazard - especially as you get further from the main panel and run your torch more. A CNC torch tends to get more “on” time than a hand one because a non-tiring machine is holding it and pushing it along :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

jamesdhatch,
Thanks for replying and you are absolutely correct. Always wire a circuit for the maximum amperage it may have to carry. A 50-6 P requires a 50-6R and should be wired as you describe with 6 or 8 gauge wire to a 50 amp breaker to code and nothing else. Say your welder only needs 30 amps-no harm done, but you sell your house and the next owner sees your 50-6 R receptacle and plugs his 50 amp at 60% duty cycle equipment into it. If you wired ti with 10 gauge and a 30 amp breaker it could burn the house down. The breaker and wire protect the house, the equipment has its’ own protection built in.

NOTE: Sherlocktk was also correct in that he did not change his 30 amp receptacle and wiring, he put a 30 amp plug on his equipment, so if someone should see that receptacle, they would know it will carry 30 amps.