Razorweld 45 tip blow out

So not sure if it’s the cheap tips I bought from China (likely) or something else but I dropped a 24x24 plate on the plasma cutter and only get about halfway through the sheet cut out and pop the tip gets a blow out and starts shooting out sideways vs straight down. New tip and same thing. I was using a .08 tip. Another thing I noticed is it seems like the electrode gets pushed in when I put the tip on like it’s too long? The electrode deal is spring loaded so is that a problem? Should I shave the end of the electrode off to fit?

I have some .1 tips that cut pretty good but the tip is so huge it seems I can’t get really good details cut.

A shot of the .08 and .1 with electrodes in them… and a shot of the .06, .06 and .1 tips I have.

Well first you are trying to use two different kinds of consumables. I don’t know what plasma cutter your using but the electrode, 0.6 and 0.8 are for a S45 torch and the 1.0 is for a IPT torch you can’t mix them it won’t work. And you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER file on a electrode or cutting tip.

I’m actually confused on my torch actually. It’s a RazerWeld Cut45. The torch looks more like the X45 picture under the STORE but the tips and parts looks more like the S45…

Oddly enough the .1 tip on the far right lasted longer than any of the others.

Lastly, what is an IPT torch?

That is a IPT torch not a S45.

Wht amperage are you running?

Guess that would explain why the .1 tip worked the best it’s the right tip for the torch :wink:

I was running 45A with the .1 tip. When I went to the .8 tip I dropped it to 40A. It cut really clean just for a short while.

So with this torch I guess I need to find new IPT tips then?

1 Like

0.8mm tip is only rated for 30 amps max, also I am guessing the consumables are from China not the Trafimet ones from Italy.

You really need to get all the right consumables for your torch.

Hmm… It is very confusing. The consumables they sell on the Langmuir website sure look like S45 too… :thinking:

I think I’ll gift these tips to my brother and order up some new stuff. Where is everyone finding the “right” stuff? .8s and 1s?

https://www.ebay.com/str/theplasmacuttershop
https://www.ebay.com/str/plasmacuttermart

1 Like

Probably because some of the RW45 machines used the S45 torch/consumables. Mine from last fall did.

Well I turned my plasma down to 30A with the cheap chinese tips I have and I got through a full sheet cut with no blow out issues. Apparently that was my problem the whole time :slight_smile:

I thought the tip size was more for cut width so smaller tip finer cut but that makes sense that they’d be limited to the amount of power you can blast out of them.

Assuming then also you’d want to vary tips sizes depending on plate thickness too? Like a 1mm would be more suited for blasting 1/2" plate as opposed to a .6mm and running 20A?

1 Like

Yea, that’s the way it works. You also need to change air pressure.

So what air pressure would I use for a s45 torch with a .6 oriface tip? And how much does it change from .6 to 1mm?

Even better is how do you change the air pressure on the RazorWeld 45 when the regulator is mounted inside the unit :thinking:

I mounted a regulator to the back of one and used it to adjust the air pressure, I posted the picture on here some were.

Maybe this may help,

0.6mm/.025" - 15 to 20 amps - 50 to 55 psi
0.8mm/.030" - 21 to 30 amps - 55 to 60 psi
0.9mm/.032" - 31 to 40 amps - 65 to 70 psi
1.0mm/.035" - 41 to 50 amps - 65 to 75 psi
1.1mm/.040" - 51 to 60 amps - 65 to 75 psi
1.2mm/.045" - 61 to 70 amps - 75 to 80 psi
1.3mm/.050" - 71 to 80 amps - 75 to 80 psi

2 Likes

George, you are the greatest!

Thank you Sir!

You do know that most of this information is posted on my web site under “all about plasma cutting”. And most of it will apply to hand cutting as well as CNC cutting.

https://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com/default.html

2 Likes

I like it. I’ll add one externally to mine this weekend.

That is a great cheatsheet. I’ll be printing and taping that to the side of my plasma cutter :slight_smile:

I do now :slight_smile: I will do my best to pay attention to this in the future, heading to your site now!