Razorcut 45 Technical Data and electrical/air system requirements (What I used)

These are a few of the important details in regards to the Razorcut 45 Plasma Cutter. I have not found many details on what the expected life of its consumables are but the important details follow, including what I used to prepare my manspace for the table.

Question 1
It would be nice to know…
How long an electrode will last, how long a nozzle will last, how long the swirl ring lasts, and last but not least, how long a retaining cap lasts?

I know that these will fluctuate based on how dry your air is and some other use factors but averages would be great :slight_smile:

Questions 2
Would it be better to go with the 3/64" orifice or the 1/16" if we are running at 40 Amps or greater? It would be a bummer to have to invest in two sets of nozzles but I understand the probability of a need to do so.

Source For Technical Data
http://www.razorweld.com/userfiles/file/RazorCUT45_Manual%20web.pdf

Technical Data
Power Supply / Phases (V-Ph) 230v - 1 +/- 15%
Duty Cycle @ 104°F 30% @ 45Amps
Rated Power (KVA) 5.50
Output Current Range (A) Plasma 20-40
Rated Output Voltage (V) 96
Efficiency (%) 90
Insulation Class H
Protection Class IP21S
Plasma Arc Starting Piolt L/F
Air Flow Pressure (MPA) 0.5 (75 psi)
Air Flow Rate (CFM) 6.70
Cutting Thickness - Clean (Inch) 5/8
Cutting Thickness - Severance (Inch) 25/32
Dimensions (inch) 18.1" x 6.69" x 12.99"
Weight (Pounds) 20.2
Warranty 3 years machine only

Torch Type:
TRF-45-6-CC1 Plasma torch

Kerf
The tip orifices focus the plasma stream to the work piece. It is important to use the correct size tip for the amperage being used, for example a tip with a 3/64" orifice is good for 0-40 amps whereas a 1/16" orifice is better for 40-80 amps

Air Pressure and Volume
The required air pressure and volume can vary from model to model and the manufacturer will provide the specs. The RazorCut45 air pressure is pre-set at 4.5 psi and requires a flow rate of 6.0 CF/M. The volume capacity of your compressor is important, if you have a small compressor with exactly the same l/min rating as the plasma, then the compressor will run continuously when you are plasma cutting, a compressor with a l/min rating slightly higher than the plasma would be more adequate. If you are doing a lot of cutting, cutting thick plate (same air consumption but slower cut speeds = longer cut time) then choose a compressor at 1.5 to 2 times the plasma system requirement.

What I bought:
I went with the best compressor for the lowest price and came across the Home Depot Husky 60 Gal. Stationary Electric Air Compressor. They usually have these hanging around in store and as I am a Veteran of the Navy and get a Military Discount, this was a no-brainer buy for me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

You will also need to pick up a standard Vertical Air Shut-Off valve to put at the output from the tank as well as a regulator and filter. If you are worried about condensation you will want to pick up an air drier as well. The driers are not cheap so do your best to look for the best deal. I am in the desert here in Idaho so I am not too worried about condensation.( I still plan on keeping an eye on it. ) I also bought an under tank drain valve extension for easy access to check for and drain condensation that might be in the tank.

Hoses and quick disconnects will probably be needed and types and quantity will be based on how you plan on setting things up for your table.

Wiring for Compressor
30A double pole breaker for the Husky 60 Gal 220v compressor. I separated the circuits for the compressor and the torch so I could run both without putting them on one massive breaker. SAFETY FIRST!

Make sure you know the type of breaker panel you have and whether or not you have the room to add the required breakers to your system. You may have to hire an electrician if you feel uncomfortable doing this on your own or you need to add a sub panel for your setup.

If you are planning on a long run from your breaker panel to your outlets you will probably want a safety switch as well as adding a heavier gauge cable for the run. Look at the Electrical Code for what your situation will call for.

This compressor is a stationary compressor. You will want to mount this to the floor of your garage or shop. I see quite a few people skipping this step, but its dumb to leave a large compressor like this unbolted or sitting on the original pallet. If it tips you could have a massive electrical issue that could cause harm or death not to mention that you have a large tank with 60 gallons of compressed air that could launch flammable dust in the air causing combustion from the aforementioned possible electrically unsafe situation caused by a tipover. Not something I would want to risk in the garage of my home. Why risk your family? Buy the cement bit, anchor bolts and rent a hammer drill. Its not that expensive when you consider the alternative.

Wiring for the Razorcut 45 plasma cutter

60A double pole breaker for the 45A 220V Plasma Cutter. I have a 50A already for my welder but I am not sure if this is going to be adequate based on whether the plasma cutter pulls a true 45 Amps. If it starts slamming the breaker I may have to upgrade to a 60A breaker as that is a true 25% greater than the suspected load whereas the 50A is somewhere around 12% greater than the possible applied load.
(I might upgrade before I get it the Razorcut 45 just to be safe, but a 50A is more than adequate for the 30A plasma cutting machine Razorweld makes.)

On the cable, check what is required for the length of your run and the amperage requirements. Every situation is different and it is honestly better for you, as the individual installing the equipment, to find the information yourself, diligently, or talk to a licensed professional (i.e. a trusted Electrician).

If you have any further questions, let me know. I will be glad to attempt to answer. Maybe some of them will be answered by Langmuir Systems as well.

3 Likes

There is no way to tell how long your consumables will last exactly. This all depends on the operator mostly

1. Pilot arc time. Keying the trigger in the air without cutting will have an effect on consumable life
  2. How dry of air
  3. cutting height. This is a big one that is mostly over looked
  4. pierce height
  5. blow back. Pierce too thick with low torch height and have it blow back on the tip can kill it QUICKLY

When I didn’t have height control on my table I could blow through consumables in an hour or less. Sometimes a week. It all depends.

I think you will be fine with a 50amp breaker.
The cut45 is not preset at 4.5psi. You adjust the flow with the built in regulator on the machine.
Cutting with too many amps on too small of an orfice will kill that tip quick. Just start out with one size.
Also note the warranty is 3 years on the power supply and 90 days on the torch.
Put your dryer close to the plasma cutter.
These little dryers work well and are cheap. Depending on your humidity they can dry out quickly

3 Likes

I’m in batch two so I’ve got some time to sort through this but I was curious if you thought the Husky 30 gallon compressor would be adequate for the Vipercut45? Ives already purchased both but now I’m wondering if I went two small on the compressor?

I have the same one. Its specs are more than the 45 requires so I believe we’re good.

Awesome thanks for the reply man!!

It helped that my 30 year old Craftsman 20 gallon died just this month so I was going to replace it anyway - figured I’d go with the larger HD one. Same price as I recall :smile:

The Husky 30 has high-flow fittings - they’re bored out a bit larger (double the airflow with a 3/8" hose) than traditional compressor quick connects. It might be a good idea to get a high-flow hose to go to the torch. I haven’t seen it yet though so I don’t know if I can put a high-flow connector on it. Figured I’d wait until I got the torch to decide.

1 Like

When I talked to Langmuir they said that the 45i required 6 cfm at 90 psi. So you may want to double check the specs on the 30 gallon compressor. Also, the higher scfm the more consistant your airflow will stay and the larger the air tank the less your compressor will run.

Well that’s an issue. I checked the mfg specs and thought I was okay. The 30 gal is only rated 6.8 cfm at 40psi. 2/3 that at 90. :frowning:

Well. Hopefully I can return this 30 gallon then lol. I believe the 30 gallon is 5.1 cfm at 90 psi

We used a 110v 26 gallon compressor for 2 years on the CrossFire prototype. For most parts, the cutter is only fired for ~70% of the time so the in between times give the compressor some time to catch up. In short, a bigger compressor is better but you can get by with less than what is required by the cutter manufacturer.

With that said, I strongly recommend seeing whats used in your area. We recently picked up a used vertical compressor with a 100 gallon tank rated for 15cfm for 400 bucks. That is overkill for any plasma cutter but we use it to supply air to our 6500 sqft factory.

3 Likes

Thanks for chimming in! Can I ask what cutter you were running with that 26 gallon compressor? Like I said I’ve got the Viper Cut 45 paired with a Husky 30 gallon compressor.

Mostly a hypertherm 1000 which is a 60 amp machine. We also ran both razorweld units extensively off that compressor. The compressor was rated for 5.6cfm at 90psi

1 Like

Awesome. That’s reassuring. Thanks for the help!

They take anything back :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I need to get the bigger one I’ll donate the 30gal to the Makerspace to replace the small pancake one they’ve got for the laser. Then I’ll get the big one for myself :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Does anyone know what’s the part number for the 1/16 and 3/64 tip for my razorweld 45?

I have this one 220671 but don’t know if it’s 1/16 or 3/64 … Razorweld doesnt specify…thanks

220671 is a Hypertherm number. That tip is for a old Hypertherm powermax 45 its has a 50 amp rating.