Razor cut 45 torch problem, torch fires but doesn't arc correctly

@langmuir-daniel @mechanic416 I think one of you may know of this issue

Razorcut 45

So this is an issue that is irregular and doesn’t occur every time. To put it simply, when I pull the trigger the torch fires, then as the plasma comes in contact with the work piece it should arc ( I don’t know if thats the correct terminology ). Well with my machine it doesn’t arc immediately or sometimes at all. Its almost as if I do not have my earth clamp attached.

Hopefully someone can help and that its an easy fix because I unfortunately relied on this machine to get a sign cut in a few days and thats not looking hopeful

If you are getting a pilot arc, but it is not getting a cutting arc when it gets close to the metal then your work clamp is not on clean metal. The pilot arc only lasts for 3 seconds if it does not sens a positive/ground from the work clamp it will not start the cutting arc.

1 Like

You are probably right. I had moved the earth clamp around before but didnt help. I assumed it was something else because it was actually cutting, it just had a delay that was as though I had no earth clamp attached. This delay ruined my piece of steel (1200mm x 800mm sign) and to add to that screw up I accidentally drove the gantry into the end of the bed and messed up my origin point. This has not been a good night

Always clamp to the metal being cut. Never to the table or slats. Also the clamp is positive (not ground) and the torch is negative This completes the circuit to make it cut. A bad positive (clamp) connection will cause it to not cut properly or if the negative (torch) is to far away from the metal. Your torch height should be set at .060" from cutting tip to metal not shield to metal.

1 Like

Is your computer plugged in when running ? I was having this issue and found in forum not to have computer charging while cutting. Also have you gone through the test firing set up? I am a rookie at this and just sharing my experience. Hope it helps .

What is the test firing setup?

Alrighty, since I have a hypertherm 30xp also I ended up using that. Whilst running the hypertherm I noticed that the machine pierced the 3mm almost immediately whilst my razor cut 45 took a noticeable amount longer to pierce. This is probably the same issue as before where it took seconds to pierce

On units with torch height control it has an test arc procedure to check the amps parameters. I only have the razorweld but haven’t had any trouble with it . Have you called langmuir directly and asked for assistance? I am only 4 months into using mine so I am still learning.

Maybe I could help you out better if you gave me a call.

George
302-690-6995

When would be a good time to call you? It’s 10:50pm currently in Australia

If you got the tester and time you can call me anytime from 9am to 8pm Eastern time here in the US.

I will still need the pictures of the connector on the welder, hand torch and machine torch.

Do you have an email I can contact you through?

Sure do, email addresses and phone number is all here www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Cheers, I’ll send you the pictures and then find sometime to call