Razor Cut 45 stopped working

The razor cut 45 I’ve had for about three years quit working mid cut. Torch went out and the air quit. Still have power to the outlet and still have air from the compressor. When the switch to the plasma cutter is on there is just a slight clicking noise from inside. I’ve emailed Razorweld support but haven’t hear back yet. Any thoughts?

Not sure if you did this yet but I found old post on similar thing

power off torch…or disconnect the torch from the plasma cutter… take the retaining cup off the torch… does the electrode in the center move up and down freely? there are 2 little spring loaded pins that touch the retaining cup on the torch head area…do they move freely up and down? then replace all the consumables

The electrode moves in and out like it should. It’s like something happened to the power supply. Nothing runs. Not even the internal cooling fan. Is it possible that a diode or capacitor failed? I know nothing about electronics.

Maybe @mechanic416 or @toolboy can help out. These guys are really knowledgeable

First thing you will need to find out is if there is power to the output side of the switch. I have seen a lot of these switch’s go bad. If it has output power from the switch you will need a new plasma cutter.

3 Likes

Well I checked the output from the switch and I have power there. Thanks for the help.

so if you have power from the output side of the switch…inplug and leave the plasma for a while…let it dissipate the power…then go inside and check for loose connections or look for anything burnt…I had plasma cutter that had loose then burnt power feed inside…quick replacement of the wire and it worked.

1 Like

Assuming my machine is toast, the consensus looks like Hypertherm. Are there any other machines I should look at if I don’t want to break the bank?

I have an Everlast 62i and cut 22ga all the way to 3/8" no issues and very little dross…But…if I could afford it I would buy a Hypertherm…

1 Like

Lots of great choices for plasma cutters and really comes down to what and how you use it. Hyperthem is the best but your razorweld made it 3 years and 1/3 of the cost so might be great option to go back with instead of breaking the bank. And another nice thing about going back to razorweld would be you already have things setup. Good luck and hopefully you get back to cutting soon.

2 Likes