Quick Change Tool Post Crossfire systems

So I am working on something completely different while background thought processes continue to ponder a better solution for materiel setup and alignment on the tables.

I get to thinking that I already have 2 torches set up and ready to go, one for my 1650g3 and the other for my 45xp. I saw that one of the users here used a picatinny rail and scope rings for the machine torch and went with that idea. I picked up some cheap scope rings with large hex nuts that need little torque for this application and with the through hole in them I can stick an allen wrench through it if needed.

Anyhow, back to the problem at hand…Lasers have been approached from multiple different directions but none that I saw involved removing the torch from the gantry to mount a laser that way…

You see where this is going right?

Here is a laser cross hair mounted in a 3d printed 1" housing - either remove the torch from the OE v clamp, or in my case, loosen two nuts, remove the torch, install the laser, and regardless of torch height, x marks the spot. Get set, remount the torch (Picatinny rails pretty much guarantee you are as square as it was when you removed it). 1/4-20 set screws to zero position on x,y, regardless of height.

I went with a more expensive laser this go because I can use the mount elsewhere, and the power supply as I don’t want to crack the Langmuir box just yet to tap into that power supply.

Amazon Laser
Amazon Picatinny rail
Amazon Scope Rings

If you wanted to get fun, there are scope rings with rail sections on them Left, Right and Top, and quick release/lever lock.

My rail was mounted to the OE Langmuir torch base sans v clamp. Quite centered and parallel.

2 Likes

I see where you are coming from and I like it. Others have proposed the idea of having an offset bracket with an exacting dimension x/y variation such as -2.00 inches in the x direction and -0.25 inches in the y direction for the mounting of the laser. With your straight edge mounted on the table and both the laser and torch permanently aligned with each other, it is simple math to know where the torch aligns.

I would be worried that having so many moving pieces might compromise the accuracy you are looking for.

And for that matter, a simple jig/template could be made. When the laser hits one point on the template, there is a corresponding indicator (on the template) of where the torch would cut when aligned in such a position.
Template for torch offset laser

2 Likes

The repeatability if going on an off the picatinny rail is in the thousandths.

I’ll be giving it a try and see how it works. A permanent mounted offset is a good idea as well.

1 Like

Proof of concept.

Six set screws, three at the top of the laser module, and three at the bottom to allow perfect centering of the unit, which is the same as the center of the torch since I’m using the same scope rings.

Can swap out between the laser pointer and my torch head in less than a minute.

Very repeatable.

3 Likes

Second proof of concept. Clip on 3D printed bracket that is square to gantries.

5 Likes

Any members that are interested, I will PM you the stl’s for either one.

1 Like

You have been busy!!! Sure like this way of mounting the laser than using those flimsy metal ball mechanisms. 3D Printers sure give one options that otherwise could not be considered.

Here is the mount that I have and do not like:

1 Like

I like the concept. Keep us informed please.

Too easy to bump out of position - I know. They have their uses, just not good on this one.

Not much more to keep up on. I tried my drafts and they work as designed. Getting the lasers centered and squared in the mounts is the only tedious thing, but once you get them set, and all of the set screws are finger tight, the lasers should stay put through mounting, dismounting, and tossed in the tool box.

Only thing that would make these better is incorporating the battery (ies) into the 3d print. I sense a LiOn if I wanted to go that far. Low on my list of projects to go after.

Maybe one of those rechargeable “Pens” but all that I can find are single dot, and star pattern. Incorporating a beam splitter or prism for a cross is more than I want to invest.

2 Likes