Question on stainless

Question on cutting stainless. I have these unknown alloy stainless sheets that use to be kick panels and every time i cut on it im getting a very hard dross even an angle grinder struggles to get off. Its 18 gauge and ive tried speeds from 50 to 300 ipm, air from 55 to 90 and amps from 20 to 60, used consumables or new, there doesnt seem to be a sweet spot. Steel and aluminum, no issues at all, can literally scrape the dross of with fingernails but these sheets, just awful. If it matters i am using a water pan. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I like to keep my cut height very low when I do stainless.
.02" cutting

And cut it as fast as possible.

2 Likes

Why is that? Or more to the point, what is it about lower cutting height that produces better cuts in SS?

1 Like

I keep mine at .02 also. I don’t have many problems with Stainless. I rarely cut 16 ga though. Most of mine is 11ga 308 or 316.
Not sure of the dynamics of it but it works.
I’m sure TinWhisper has the answer? When I first started TinWhisper help me dial in cuts with THC voltage adjustments. Best cuts ended up at .02.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciated it.
Ill give .020 a try and see what happens.

1 Like

From this hypertherm fine cut chart. I started applying it to my standard 45amp consumables and I was getting good results so I stuck with it.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have to try that the next time I cut SS. I get good cuts, but drossy.

I’ll have to test to get the right THC settings for that height.

2 Likes

Welcome. As fast as I can cut it while maintaining the geometry is another rule of thumb I try to stick to with stainless steel.
Also the water pan is full as it can be and preferably the first cut of the day so everything’s nice and cool.

1 Like

Serendipity
Very timely Q & A.
Just scored some free 15-5PH from work.
A colleague wants signage for his powder coat business.
Thanks guys.

2 Likes