PRO Cut 1" Cold Steel with RW45?

I’ve a request to cut something simple out of 1" steel.
I’ve got a 50AMP curcuit, RW45 with Machine torch and the water table on the PRO table.

Can this be done?

Tim

1/2” is pretty much the limit with the RW. You can do up to 3/4”, but the cuts will most likely be inconsistent with a lot of bevel.

2 Likes

You could likely set up some extremely slow edge start settings and cut inch material but I can imagine it having some edge quality issues.

Think one of the major factors you’re going to be running into your duty cycle and not be able to cut long enough to make anything meaningful. And then you’ll have a bunch of pauses throughout the cut which isn’t going to make the cut edge quality any better.

If you plan on cutting 1 in at any capacity you’re going to need a bigger plasma cutter and a deeper water table.

3 Likes

Well, I did an 8" straight cut at 3IPM and 45AMP. It did cut but not sure how well yet.
Tim

here are couple of Vids off you tube

2 Likes

Those are crazy nice cuts.

I did also notice that he no longer runs a razorweld45 in his current videos. Upgraded to a hypertherm PowerMax SYNC65

4 Likes

Do you suppose he needs THC in case of warp or air pressure lifting the workpiece?

3 Likes

Don’t think it could be done without duty cycle issues. For sure it would have to be an edge start. Travel speed would be less than 1~4 ipm. Definitely I would put a piece of 1/4 plate under it in the water table to prevent pan damage.

4 Likes