Prep for coming unit

Just ordered a small unit with the extension and the height control. should be a fine size for what I have planned.

Want to make sure I have everything ready on my end. I have a Hypertherm Powermax 65 I bought a couple of years ago for a smoking deal. It has the handheld torch and it does not have a electronic port on the back. It is my understanding that this can be added. Just want to make sure I get the right parts for the unit. I see there are ones with rs485 and ones that don’t, not sure on the right one.

Secondly, a machine torch is ideal but I understand you can use the handheld torch with some minor modifications. Are there any knock off machine torches that don’t suck and are more affordable. The machine torch costs more than I paid for the whole unit when I bought it used.

Thanks, just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row. Looking at all the other aspects as well. I have been looking at these for over a year and finally pulled the trigger.

Welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll get lots of help here.

I can’t offer anything useful WRT Hypertherm, but plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people will be along shortly, I’m sure.

thanks, here is what the manual references.

How did you get that manual from Manual Man!? (AKA @TinWhisperer ) He keeps very close control over those manuals!

2 Likes

I seem to recall reading something about the hand torch not firing when the CPC port calls for it.

I’m sure you could do some fiddling to get the divider voltage from the CPC but cut in some wires to use the hand torch trigger. If you’re electrically inclined it shouldn’t be terrible. If you’re really slick you could remove the CPC torch start wires from where they tie into the board and use them to drive the hand torch from the front torch connector. I couldn’t find a picture of the front connector to see which wires are the hand torch trigger. Or just wire directly for everything and don’t get the CPC kit.

You got a screaming deal on that hypertherm 65 for less than the machine torch costs!

Thanks, that is the Hypertherm manual

thanks, I did see that page as well but for me the smaller the wire the worse I am. house wiring just fine, taking apart an iPhone not so much. I did see some ways to bypass that look like I can do. Just want to make sure I get the right port for my unit.

I looked for over a year to finally find one, and it was before the pandemic when things were less expensive. Investors were parting out a shop that failed but it was not used a lot, the torch is in really good shape. i got the alert and was all over it. They don’t come up often. Just blew what ever I saved on that buying the table though.

1 Like