Powermax 30 Fine cut vs standard consumables help

Hey everyone. I have an older powermax 30, and recently started cutting some pretty fine art. I have since learned that hypertherm offers a “fine cut” line of consumables for thinner gauge steel.

However after buying a few “fine cut” nozzles it looks as though the hole in the fine cut nozzle (part number 420117) vs the hole in my standard nozzle (part number 220480) are the same. It also appears that the “fine cut” tips do not fit in the nozzle holder/shield that my unit came with. This is why I believe my machine to be older (it was bought used).

I’m hoping someone knows where I could find information on these two nozzles. If I am to use the “fine cut” nozzles I will need to buy some updated parts for my torch and ultimately my reason for asking for help. I don’t want to waste my money on something that is identical to what I already have.

1 Like

I too have a Powermax 30. I’ve spoken with people from Hypertherm and have been told that fine cut tips only work with the 45XP and greater which have a different torch, shield and retainer. Our T30V torches do not support it.

1 Like

Hey buddy I’m not sure if you have found your answer yet but you actually need the fine cut deflector shield which is different to the normal shield. The 30xp fine cut will fit but they need to be paired with the fine cut deflector shield

The older Hypertherm Powermax 30 and the new Hypertherm Powerx 30XP have different torch’s and use different consumables.