Plasma Won't Fire

I replaced my consumibles and now I don’t get any arch. I have a machine torch. I have tried to manually fire it with a paperclip and all I got was air. All my consumibles are right. My Idle air pressure is 80 ips but when I try to fire it drops to about 55, but I’m not sure how to fix that. My grounding clamp is attached to the piece. Pierce delay is .5 pierce height .06.

Welcome to the forum. I will move this to the Plasma Cutter category, but the two possibilities that come to my mind are the electrode is binding because of dust or something causing friction or that the lower mount on the torch is on the collar of the torch, rather than the upper sleeve and the clamp is too tight. The easy way to check either of those is to remove the cap from the torch and manually press on the electrode to see if it retracts smoothly.

1 Like

The most likely reason is that the electrode is not able to move back to initiate the arc. Consumables could be installed incorrectly or the cap is too tight and restricting movement.

1 Like

The cap was to tight. Its cuttign now but the start of every cut is not goint through the metal. Any fixes for that?

I also am concerned that my overall problesm has nothing to do with my consumibles. Befor i replaced the I kept getiing the “Loss of arch voltage” message. What are common causes for this?

Give some details on the cut you are attempting metal thickness; plasma amp setting; travel speed; pierce delay; lead-in/out settings; air pressure.

1 Like

My air pressure is sitting at 80. 35 amps. I dont think the cut has anything to do with it. i’ve cut this same thing multiple different times as a test cut. It is on 1/8th in aluminum. travel speed is 100 ipm. my lead in is .05 radius and 90 degree angle. but my lead out is turned off.

1 Like

I should also add that I made other cuts that would work for the first half then stop the second half with the loss of arch voltage message.

What cutter do you have? 55 psi isn’t enough

4 Likes

Loss of arc voltage is something with THC. This has nothing to do with misfiring or no fire of the torch.

Like @Knick asked what plasma cutter and hand or machine torch?

2 Likes

Find out where your air flow restriction is.

A 25psi drop from static to dynamic air flow is insanely high.

3 Likes

Isn’t there a lower limit on pierce delay? Like .5 sec. Increase it to .6 sec?

1 Like

Try increasing pierce delay at 0.8-1 sec
Manual for your plasma cutter might say 0.5 but it won’t fire. Gotta be longer.

1 Like