Plasma Noob — Looking for feedback

My first cuts were also 22ga. And looked truly awful. So Well done! I use a Hypertherm 45XP and found out here that the pierce delay needed to be much longer than the factory suggested. But the amp settings, distance, etc suggested by the factory were close enough. It’s worth doing some testing with every new material thickness. Using a fine cut nozzle was the only way I had any success with such thin sheets and even then and after many cuts since, I’ve never had anything cut that well in 22. So kudos.
And yes, galvanized steel fumes are toxic. Watch out for aluminum as well. Nasty fumes and so far, IME, also very difficult to get successful cuts. Don’t ever expect plasma cuts to look as clean as your previous laser experience. Honestly, the way laser prices are falling plasma seems doomed for all but the thickest and largest sizes.

1 Like

I’ll have to experiment with different tips. I only have one size nozzle (1mm) at the moment.

I picked up a handful of 22x30" 18 gauge steel offcuts from a nearby vendor, and have some 8x12x1/8" materials in the mail. So, I should likely be able to do more learning this weekend.

I can mill aluminum on the CNC if I need clean parts, but I might consider doing thin sheets on the plasma if needed. I have some plans in mind for what I want to do with this machine that I can’t do with my CNC or CO2 laser, so I’m still very happy to have it.

Thanks for all the advice!

1 Like

Those aren’t looking too bad, man! I was in the same boat as you, having CO2 and Fiber Laser experience but I had to definitely change my expectations a bit when using plasma. Where I work now doesn’t cut Galvanized like the previous one, (90% stainless now), but always use nitrogen as assist gas. The sign work I’ve had when people want stainless always reminds me that I’m not using a laser nor nitrogen. Lol but with a bit of tinkering, and some added finishing work, you will get used to it.

And these guys are right. Galv emits all kinds of nasty stuff. It’s so easy to see how much stuff those down draft systems remove on an industrial grade laser when you cut in your garage without one.

3 Likes