Picturing the software toolchain

Given the number of folks who might benefit from understanding which tools do what in the digital fabrication toolchain, I updated a diagram I put together for a book a couple of years ago. The fundamental steps are the same for CNC, 3D printing, laser cutting, etc. There are thousands of permutations of tools, these are just common examples.

Your chart is misleading with respect to the SheetCam path. Since SheetCam is a totally separate CAM program that takes industry standard drawing files, almost any CAD/2D Artwork program can supply input to it.

The Fusion360 path is correct if you use Fusion’s CAM features, otherwise it’s just another CAD program that can supply input to SHeetCam.

1 Like

I’m very sorry that you found the diagram misleading. I had hoped to address the concern you raise in the accompanying text; " There are thousands of permutations of tools, these are just common examples. "

These are all working toolchains that I have personally used. I even use Sheetcam as CAM for Fusion360 CAD work and sometimes use it for VCarve Pro (when I’m doing drag knife work.) It’s just impossible to list all the different ways to combine different programs.