Phone call from Autodesk, I think

I just got a phone call from Colorado, from supposedly Autodesk, asking me about Fusion 360?? Guy wanted to let me know that there was a licensing change and said that he sees that I use it for hobbyist and personally. I told him what I use it for and he said I wont be affected by the change and he “wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting screwed”. I said ok and we hung up. Hope it wasn’t a scam, but he said all the right things for me to believe he worked at Autodesk. This is the number 7203402925… What yall think? Any of you get this kind of call?

I got a call like this when I first installed. He directed me to the fusion forums. I think this person would become your salesman if you were buying licenses. I saw a notice this morning that they are changing the license model. Looks to be like they are refining it.

I see the same message in F360 today… I’m sure I’ll carry on as <$100K but not sure of what to choose now… Was going to wait a bit and see what others thought…LOL

Yeah I forgot he said they sent out an email about it. I haven’t gotten it yet though.

I think they changed it to less than 1,000 now rather than 100k

Does anyone know the specific details of what is restricted now if you chose the personal use (under $1k) vs the startup version (under $100k) that we currently use?

I think the ability to read files from other cad packages for one. Also I’ll bet there is going to be some sort of verification scheme

Just got email myself, I am under 100k how will this affect me? Any recent info on their plans?

You just have to re-certify annually. Still free.

1 Like

That’s what I like to hear LOL… Free is good I like free

They did just change their hobby/startup policys. And you now need to apply for startup status. And the personal license is loosing some features, mainly seems like support for importing files from solidworks, inventer, and some other cad formats.

They just called me. It is no longer free unless you have a specially approved innovative product line and earn less than 100,000. If you do ANY commercial work with it and don’t have some new “innovative” product you now have to pay if you do commercial work. If you are strictly hobby, they still have the free license, but if you are getting paid you have to pay. They hit me with having to pay and offered me a special price of $310 for the next two weeks. I did not bite. I have a very small business. Anyone know of some cheap/free alternatives for generating tap files?

1 Like

That’s interesting. I’ve been moving a bunch of 3D designs to Fusion. I may have to switch software - although I do like the sheet metal features.

Try Sheetcam. You’ll need to use a different design package (like Inkscape - free) but it does toolpathing and G-Code generation really well and has some neat automation options. It runs about $150 but there’s no additional annual costs.

I may look into sheetcam, although I like fusion. Seems like they are starting to crawfish and make it hard for the little guy. Mark my words, EVERYTHING is going to be cloud based computing soon. All a computer will be used for is to access the internet. There won’t be any local storage space or anything. Only apps for connecting to the cloud to use remote programs. A skynet… ok let me crawl out of the weeds now.