Pan Drain Dimple Die Mod 2

Toolboy is correct. The majority of metal stress occurs at the edge of the hole. As the dimple deforms the metal around the hole has to stretch considerably. We see that as evidence of how much the diameter of the hole increased in the demo video. If the material is thin there is less material available to provide the slip needed to stretch so the material tears.

Been thinking (dangerous use of time :slightly_smiling_face: ) the amount of hole growth is directly related to the depth of the dimple. Even Mod 2 with its restricted dimple depth still results in the drain being below the pan surface by at least 1/16”. It needs to only be flush to get a complete draining so if I reduced the dimple depth it should reduce the hole growth. I finally got my last box this week so am going to start my build but I may take a break and turn another die with less dimple and see what the difference in hole diameter growth is

Question to the folks on this forum that have been around for a while. Is there a good way to start and maintain a list of people wanting to get the Mod1 or Mod2 dimple die? The good thing about the tables is that the mod can be done anytime…it doesn’t have to be done before building and using them. Even if the first few times you have to use brute force to mop up the water remaining in the pan. But for those wanting to use the die what is the best way to maintain a list? Names need to be added, removed, etc. on the fly. Should a new topic be created specifically for this?

As a starting point my best guess at the order of people to get the Mod 2 die is as follows:

chrisnyc
Forx
Rodsystel
jmersereau
Jameygene
BushRiverRacing

If I’ve missed someone or screwed up the order please correct me. As soon as Chris tests his 3D printed version to see if it works I’ll send to the next in line. If Chris’ version works it would go to Forx, if it doesn’t work it goes to Chris. Whoever it goes to then needs to forward to the next person in line.

I should be able to get to the shop tomorrow and give the PLA printed die a go. I had high hopes for this until jmersereau did his test using a PETG printed die which I believe has a higher PSI rating than PLA. We shall see.

Yep…knew you were gonna try this weekend…fingers crossed but based on Jim’s results not banking on it!

Guess you need to buy a metal 3D printer😈 price is coming down…should be only couple hundred K by now!

2 Likes

You could link to a Google Sheet (spreadsheet) or create a post here as a “wiki” and people can update the post as they get the die and pass it on or if they want to get in the list. In a wiki post the original post can continue to be updated without adding additional messages & replies to the string of posts.

Bill P created a Google docs spreadsheet. As of now only I can edit but I think I will pass the edit authority to the next person in line after I ship the die then they can update the sheet and then pass edit authority on to the next person. I’ll post the sheet shortly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1eGO1AF_yXU5d-nFg8Qq0rdzAi1N_-P11eTfpaLMWDd8/htmlview

1 Like

How do people add themselves to the list then?

I guess for now I’ll add names as I get requests but need everyone to check me to make sure I don’t forget someone or get the order wrong.

Why not let everyone edit? it would be self-policing because anyone tries to sneak ahead in line would be called out by the folks further down on the list and Google’s sheet history shows the changes so the evidence would be there that someone added a name before others already on the list and it’d be easy enough to just send that person to the end of the line (or disallow them altogether because they didn’t play fair).

Dang! Drat! Darn! Curse you, James Hatch!
Oh wait… I don’t need that tool. Huh. Never mind.

Have no issue with allowing everyone to edit other than having to get everyone’s email and doing the invite. Certainly wasn’t concerned about a forum member misbehaving! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Dan,
Is there a way to get the CAD file?
I’ve got a lathe so maybe I can put a second die set into circulation.
I also have a 3D printer and this sounds like an interesting experiment.

1 Like

Should be editable at this link for those interested. I just threw this together so if you’d like to re-build it in some fashion in order to make it better go right ahead…

Maybe adding another cclumn with email address wouldn’t be a bad idea… I am aware not everyone likes to share that info however…

1 Like

Be happy to give you whatever will help. The current CAD file is a Fusion 360 file but I can output it as a STEP or other format if that would work…what do you prefer?

Thx Bill, i out of town and I think you have to be on PC to edit and I only have my iPad.

1 Like

This is fantastic, nice work. I added myself to the list!

Did you get my msg about what format you needed for the cad file? I also posted the drawings in pdf that would be good for the lathe work but if you want to print it I’d recommend you ask the guys on this post who have printed it for their dxf file.