October 1 Changes to Fusion 360 and its impact on FireControl

If you aren’t used to G-code be careful. G1 is a linear feed so it needs the feed rate posted on the first G1 line and will remain modal until changed. G2 and G3 are circular interpolation and will use the previous feed from G1 unless it is changed. G0 is the rapid code. If you change the feed on the G38.2 line be careful; that is the feed that the THC uses ( I believe) so be careful. So what Fusion did is remove G0 and use G1 instead. Replace the G1 with G0 and you will have Rapid again, just be sure that the correct feed is posted on the next G1 line and on the G38.2 line.

1 Like

You going to make the End of the week? Or should we check the site later next week?

(no pressure just curious…Put it out when it’s done!)

well it has been a while since i have posted in the forum … and now we have this … Everyone says learn fusion it will be beneficial… okay i just start getting it figured out and then this … I was designing in fusion and exporting the DXF and cutting in Sheetcam now i can’t export DXF files unless i want to spend $300 for the first year and who knows what it will cost after that … So now what ??? WTF i don’t mean to get pissy but that was just a low blow on the hobby people … I am a weekender for the fast cut Fusion worked good so I am now in a hunt for a way to convert the Fusion files to DXF… any ideas ???

1 Like

Can still save dxf’s in the sketch drop down menu. Just right click on the sketch tab and save as dxf

2 Likes

Thank You !!! found what you were talking about worked like a Champ …

Not sure why but saving a sketch as DXF and then importing it into SheetCAM results in the part shrinking - for example something that was 14" wide in Fusion became 0.78" wide in SheetCAM.

I opened the DXF file in FreeCAD and NanoCAD and resaved it and both new files work perfectly in SheetCAM.

I can only conclude that my time with Fusion is quickly coming to an end. So far everything I’ve done in Fusion, I can do much faster and easier in other programs and with very little frustration.

How’s progress? Looking forward to some improvements, although the regular crashing may well be my machine! If I send a report do they get looked at? Thanks :grinning:

Any update on the fire control. 20.5? Not trying to pressure anyone, just wondering.
Thanks for all your hard work making this one of the best tables and software available.

1 Like

I expect it’s the measurement units. DXF files don’t always have explicit units defined in the file and importing programs will resize assuming it’s metric. Fusion is particularly bad at including units in DXF files. Unfortunately, there are scenarios where they do but mostly ones where they don’t. I always just reopen it and change the import scaling selection if it comes in too big or too small.

I tend to use SVG for everything though so I don’t get those issues.

1 Like

When importing into Sheetcam your scale has to be set correctly. It’s 1:1 if it’s a svg and it’s 25.4 if it’s a dxf. Click on inch if dxf.

Yeah!! What he said…

I read through the Oct 1st changes that were coming and thought I’d still be fine with the Personal deal but today I opened Fusion to see “EXPIRED PURCHASE NOW”… Has the personal license ALWAYS been only a 1 year availability? I didn’t read this term anywhere initially when getting into Fusion or in the Oct 1st changes list. Maybe I missed it but, lame.

Hi, I think when it was Hobbiest or whatever it was then called it was one year then they changed the name to the personal not for commercial with one year . I think I remember reading it used to be 2 or 3 year terms. Before my time using it. You should be able to continue with the free personal License if you qualify.

Found and fixed this one, too. Looks like Fusion 360 is removing all of the G1 speed
parameters. I was able to correct the problem by adding something like this to the very
first G1 statement in each section:

Old statement: N35 G1 X8.1154
New statement: N35 G1 X8.1154 F80. (yes, the period is required)

In this example the feed rate is being set to F80. or 80 in/min.

I made this change to each of the first G1 statements in each section rendered
by Fusion in my .tap file. Can’t wait to do this on a more complicated piece. :frowning: :frowning:

Hope this helps.

William C. Brown

1 Like

The problem is only with the “personal” version. All other versions of Fusion 360 work as expected.
My solution is to Register for a 1 unit class at my local City College and get a Student ID.
Then sign up for a free Autodesk Educational License.
You will then be able to download ALL OF THE AUTODESK APPLICATIONS for free.
One of those applications is Fusion 360.
When you download it you get EVERYTHING that is available for Fusion 360.

The Educational License is intended for a non-commercial single user.
If you are doing work for profit you can afford to pay for a regular license.

1 Like

The personal version had a bug when they changed a few things but it has been fixed and works normal except for there export changes and a couple other things.
As far as paying for the license in my opinion fusion 360 is a long way away from being able to charge 400 bucks per year for it.
A one time fee you could justify but the yearly fee for a program that has lots of issues crashes often and changes so often doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

It will work. When you are finished with your drawing, right click on the last line over to the left that has the name of your sketch. In the drop down menu select save as DXF. You can then save it to whatever folder you want. When ready, just import it into sheetcam. This is how I always save my files. I never liked the export of DXF. Hope this helps.

I had that issue when I exported to DXF. I quickly learned that I could save as DXF. That fixed the problem. I only do the save as DXF option now. I save it to my thumb drive then import into sheetcam at 1:25.4 in mode. Comes in perfect every time now.