No welding required solution drain replacement

Here’s some pics of a weld free solution to fix the crappy drains.

Below the parts are:
1" ceiling flange BLK iron
1" BLK iron nipple
1" BLK iron cap

I drilled out the 4 holes on the ceiling flange from the top down thru the water pan. bolting on the ceiling flange is some stainless steel 1/4" bolts (3/4" long), washers, & nuts.

Remember to put your washers on the correct way!

Aluminum coloured silicone on the surface of the ceiling flange for that liquid gasket :metal:.

Here’s the under side finish look for now. Teflon tape and dope on threads. Nice aluminum cock job around the flange will get anyone’s beak wet.

Hammered the shit out of the bolts with some of this spray garbage. Working mediocre on the joint in the middle of the water table, no leaks yet.

Here’s the finished result with the slats all in.

If it leaks tomorrow I suppose I will post about that, but i doubt it.

Will be obviously changing off caps and adding ball valves, all sorts of shit but plumbing supplier is closed so it will have to wait. All the materials you should be able to buy at home depot if you are considering whipping this up.

One thing to note is that if you are using black iron piping it will rust the same to a degree like the slats as it becomes oxidized or what not. I suppose if you could find galvanized 1" ceiling flanges + nipples I would go that route but what ever. Could also go plastic threads from ceiling flange as well, just saying.

material list:

2x 1" ceiling flange BLK iron
2x 1" BLK iron nipple
2x 1" BLK iron cap
8x 1/4" bolt, 3/4" long SS
16x 1/4" washer SS
8x 1/4" nut SS
1x Silicone tube
1x can flex seal

6 Likes

Ended up doing a 1" x 3/4" reducing 90, nipple, full port ball valve, 3/4" npt male to garden hose male adapter with a cap and chain

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m getting ready to update my drains and searching everyones solutions to decide what I want to do without getting in line for the dimple tool.

No Leaks?

No leaks, all good.

I recommend maybe a y strainer or some steel wool, i had a small piece fall down and got stuck in the ball valve. Had to unthread and smash it out but what ever, no big deal about that.

The reason i went this way is cause i plan on changing the garden hose adapters to have a tank/filter/pump set up. Npt threads are basically what everything uses

2 Likes

@Scoopburt

Thanks good to know. I would like to use drains that drop into 1.5"PVC sink drain with a 1.5’ ball valve. I have been doing some long runs and my water table is getting pretty hot then I’m getting some warping. Planning to have a tank and run a pump to keep the water circulating. I don’t quit have everything figured out yet. Some guys have come up with some pretty elaborate systems. I bought some Sterling cut solutions and when I empty my table plan to so a complete overhaul of things.

1 Like

If you go to a plumbing supplier i think the biggest ceiling flange ive seen was 2", so i imagine theres a 1.5" npt version. Then you need a 1.5" thread to female hub adapter and youre off to the races if u wanna roll plastic glued joints. I did threaded cause i own a threader and its pretty much scraps i have left over from jobs. The bolt diameter might be different on the larger ceiling flange so i would hunt for that first

3 Likes

@Scoopburt