No Voltage Detected (solved, new torch required)

If you had it clamped to the torch head it’s possible you damaged it. What is the regulator on your machine set at? You might try turning it up to 75 if it is set lower. You will have to pull the case off to get to the regulator inside.

If that doesn’t work you might call razorweld and see about getting a replacement torch.

1 Like

The 3 main causes of no pilot arc are air pressure, electrode plunger and cup pins.

You need to check the electrode plunger that it is free and moving in and out.

Then check the cup pins to make sure they are not corroded and freely moving in and out.

4 Likes

The psi on the machine is reading 80 psi

I see you already checked the plunger… check the cup pins as @mechanic416 suggested…

Also when the air comes on to fire the torch how much does the pressure drop? If it is set at 80psi I would expect it to drop to 75 when cutting which is where you want to be. If it is dropping down lower…like into the 50s you may have a bad regulator causing the problem.

1 Like

What are the cup pins?

toolboyCrossFire PRO

Nov '20

Machine torch or hand held?

Chech the spring loaded pins that touch the cup

I had problems with these pins in the past

2 Likes

If you click on Nov’20 in the linked post from @toolboy above it will give you more info on checking and cleaning the cup pins. Let me know how it goes.

You can also search cup pins by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.

1 Like

Do the pins look clean? Kinda hard to tell in the pic. Do they seem to move in and out easily?

Did you get a chance to check the pressure drop when the air comes on to fire the torch?

1 Like

@Chriss Where at you at currently with your issues?

Pins look clean and I adjusted the regulator. It still tells me no voltage detected

Still getting the same error. I tried new consumables, checked the cup pins, adjusted the regulator.

How is your THC connected at the vim box ( voltage input module ) ?

Can you Preform a straight line cut in firecontrol?

1 Like

First thing you need to do is go to your breaker panel and turn off all the breakers and turn them all back on. Then use a volt meter and make sure your getting the correct voltage reading to your table and plasma cutter.

You need to get the torch to pilot arc and transfer the pilot arc to a cutting arc before you can get a voltage reading.

Unplug the cnc ports from the front of the plasma cutter. Jump the pins on the on/off trigger port, the torch should fire the pilot arc.

If the torch pilot arc’s the trouble is in the THC setup some were. If it does not fire the pilot arc then the plasma cutter is the trouble.

2 Likes

I unplugged the CNC ports and I am getting no voltage from the VIM box and its wired correctly because I have made cuts before. Would that be the issue? I tested the voltage I plug the plasma into and got the right voltage.

If you unplugged the wires from the CNC ports, you certainly shouldn’t be seeing any voltage at the VIM. There is nothing plugged into the VIM that would provide voltage.

Have you tried simply toggling off the THC in Firecontrol and running a program?

That will take the THC and VIM out of the equation and tell you if the torch fires.

It’s difficult for anyone to help you, because you get suggestions for things to try and then you report back on something completely unrelated.

4 Likes

What exactly have I said thats unrelated? Im literally just reporting back on what ive been told

You were asked to unplug all the ports and jump the pins on the torch firing port to see if the torch fires.

You reported back that you unplugged the ports and you get no voltage at the VIM. That’s unrelated, because you’re not supposed to get any voltage with the ports unplugged.

You were supposed to see if the torch fires and we still don’t know the answer to that

Unplug all the ones from the plasma or from the box with all the wiring?

The CNC ports that George was referring to are the torch firing and divided voltage on the plasma cutter.

This needs to be done systematically. The first step is to make sure the torch will fire if the plasma cutter is not connected to the control box.

With a hand torch, that can be done by simply pulling the trigger on the torch. With a machine torch, it requires you to jump the two pins on the connector at the front of the plasma cutter that goes to the torch on/off port. Bend a paper clip and stick it into both pins with a pair of pliers. That will fire the torch.

2 Likes