No Cut Chart; Knowing Which Variables to Tweak

I have a Lotos LTP5500D on my Pro that I’ve been pretty happy with. I recently bought a machine torch that is pinned to work with my cutter but uses Razorcut X45/Hypertherm consumables- See link at bottom

So now I find myself in a position where I need to make my own cut charts. Not really sure if I should reference the chart for my current cutter or for the X45- or if it even matters. I’ll be dialing in recipes for the fine cut consumables as well as the 35A & 70A tips.

I plan on using the method outlined in this thread here Test cut program to find the ideal cutting speed

I anticipate that this will give me a good subjective comparison that accounts for everything software side(feeds,delays, heights, etc…) but I don’t know how I’ll handle the amperage/PSI

Does anyone have any advice or resources for understanding which variables to tweak for subjectively getting your cut where you want it? Or any advice really- I’m quite new to this.

Set it to 45 amps and adjust speed as necessary. That’s basically how the hypertherm cut chart works with standard consumeables, kerf changes with speed of course.

Fine cuts are a little different. I run them on the low speed settings foe the .029 kerf on 16 gauge.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Would I do the same with the 70A tip but with the amperage to match? What cut chart are you referring to? Powermax 45? I’m still unclear on what to set PSI to but I can look through the chart first.

Ah sorry I skimmed. I can only speak to the 44 amp stuff. The 45xp is internally regulated so I don’t know anything about the psi.

1 Like

I have a comprehensive cut list on the computer at work that I have tuned in real well for our hypertherm. I can grab that file tomorrow and upload it here. Granted its not the same cutter but being the same consumables I would imagine it will be a pretty good starting point.

Im looking at purchasing this torch as well for my everlast 50s, have you had a chance to confirm it fits the hypertherm duramax 45 amp consumables o just the razor weld stuff? Trying to come up with a way to use easily sourced hypertherm consumables without actually buying a hypertherm machine since I have no reason to ditch the everlast other than the consumables

1 Like

That’d be much appreciated- Thanks!

The torch just shipped today but I can let you know when I get it and do my best to answer any questions you have. FWIW I ordered the consumables linked in the ad- ‘replacement parts here’ or something like that. I looked up the numbers for the consumables on the hypertherm website but it didn’t turn up anything so I’m not sure if they are OEM numbers or not.

It took a little bit of prodding but I finally got some useful information from the seller that might be helpful to someone down the road:

"This torch likes 60-75psi, depending on cutting thickness
Our Fine Cut kit requires higher pressures to get a good cut but does give great results on sheet up to 8ga
This torch is much different than a PT style as it does take higher flow rates, some smaller & older machines require a change to the air to accomodate higher flow
Smaller/older air driers can clog and reduce air flow (this causes a high air pressure drop) - also, we’ve found Titanium (Harbour Freight) machines have a small internal regulator that causes flow issues. We bought a Titanium to understand this issue. For a shop we would bypass both drier and internal regulator and install a larger external regulator one. We’ve not heard any flow issues on Lotos machines.

Rule of thumb is maximize cut, then ramp up the cut speed to minimize heat flow into the material

Current : 20-70 Amps - Duty Cycle: 70 Amps 50%
Gas: Air/N2
Gas Pressure
- Cutting: 72-80 PSI (5.0-5.5 bar)
- Gouging: 58-65 PSI (4.0-4.5 bar)
Gas Flow at 70A: 390 scfh (185 lpm)
Post Flow Time : 45 sec
Pilot : Electrode to Tip (12-15A)"

Sorry it took so long to get. Here is the toolset off the arclight dynamics table at work with a hypertherm PM105. This should give you a really good starting point, many of the settings were perfect with my iptm60 torch and with yours being based off the older hypertherm stuff should work well as a start. You should be able to import the csv file direct to sheetcam

Hypertherm Plasma Toolset.zip (2.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you! I got a little held up because I didn’t think about needing to machine some mounts for the machine torch. I’ll definitely be using this