Nightmare problems cutting stuff for holidays

I’m not defending anyone. Just pointing out your leaps of assumptions that are not necessarily correct. I’m an IT guy too - been in the software business for 40 years.

You’ve decided the software is the problem because it used to work, didn’t work, worked again and now doesn’t work. In the world of software with your industry experience you must know that updates introduce new features and new bugs. It’s software. It’s working with someone else’s software (your browser & Windows). It works in concert with the hardware. It is entirely possible that the updates introduced new features that require additional hardware resources to work well. Happens all the time. Fusion used to not do parametric modeling, now it does. That’s a very compute intensive feature. Everyone who had it before they added PM were affected when they added a new feature that required new hardware resources. Same when they added the Sheetmetal module. They add features that require more hardware.

So yes, tangentially the software is the problem - if they didn’t keep adding stuff it would still work the same way with the same hardware. But the story of software today is that you have to keep adding features & functionality to stay competitive. That means it grows up to a point where the hardware that worked well at one time may no longer work.

Unfortunately when software is updated bugs are often introduced and not caught in QA testing. Then it may break. Autodesk usually patches those pretty quickly because lots of people are affected and they are not in the business of making their customers life harder (most of us aren’t customers though - we’ve not paid for anything).

Bottom line though, as I said, doesn’t matter whether your hardware caused the problem (corrupt disk for instance) or if it’s software, you’ve chosen to take an approach that puts all responsibility for fixing the problem on them. For which you haven’t paid them a dime. You’re better off switching to other software and moving on. At least then you won’t have to fight Fusion. I don’t think Sheetcam has been updated in several years - seems like it would be just your ticket. Same with Inkscape - 0.92 took years to get released after 0.91 (although there is a new 1.0 that’s in limited beta release).

BTW, lots of quality software has frequent updates - we write multi-million dollar software that as a market defining feature requested and paid for by our customers is bi-weekly updates. The pace of regulatory change in our industry requires frequent updates. Updates are not by definition an indicator of poor quality.

I dont want to over-think this. its software bug… not new features… its not slower using a new feature its hangs and wont open after an update causing a reboot… because of hard crash and stop… this corrupts systems files … on top of the original bug… the problem when the software is trying to do too much mostly trying to contact the internet and its not done correctly with windows. it locked up everything causing the whole computer to become unresponsive then causing hard restart loss of data and corrupting files… this is sort of what windows does by nature… just dont pull the plug on windows while updating … The issue is my computer is not the problem… windows is bad… and so is fusion., i wouldnt pay 10 cents for it… period… that is enough … i wish i didnt invest the time in it to learn it - and i wish i didnt have half my designs and work in it as they own that now. and their export feature is useless so i have to redo all my work in other software.

Just was playing with fusion 360 since windows update… seems my trim function is working again and so is my delete without excessive waits… so , I am not sure how that was a hardware problems…

James, Let me ask you, You know all the log files errors frrom 360 show connection problems - with their server and the program wont open while having an active internet connection… So you tell me what is going - Is there somethign I need to do to allow 360 internet access. because I see nowhere in windows that it is being blocked by the firewall. but apparently it cannot get through to the internet… It can after its open… but it gives me a message for months updated failed cant connect, " the update failed to complete check your internet connection and restart your computer " i have done this - this is continual so i am caught in a loop it wont connect when its opening and i cant complete the update once it opens… so you see.

Doing some research - seems with connection errors like this support forum is recommending clean install… So software cant be great if gets corrupted easily and requires clean install… frequently,

By the way, this is the main reason half the planet fears MS windows updates… Because something will break if they do it… Which it always does… My moto - “dont fix it if ant broken.”

Go with windows 10 pro then you can disable updates, then choose which ones you want to install.

1 Like

That is a thought… I wonder why they want to control everyone else.

So oddly enough, after 7 sheets, I had one warp and I thought of this thread… here’s the video… I did post my entire thread about installing the THC, search for THC step by step. For clear coat I use triple thick glaze, lay the piece flat, lay it on thick. I now use an oven to help it dry quicker. Not a professional set up, but I dont eat fumes anymore and my paint dries quick.

1 Like

Yep, that looks like my sheet. THC… gonna need that … thanks.

1 Like

I’ve been using Fusion on Windows 10 and Windows 7 PCs for about a year now daily. The only time I’ve experienced any big delays is when Fusion is saving a huge project with thousands of parts ( I design audio amplifiers) . There are some hardware parts that Fusion will not operate properly with, an AMD video card is one of them. A very fast network connection is also required, no flaky Wifi connections.

1 Like

Yeah, something really appears defunct with my install looking at the log files and forums - It appears one of my updates failed… could have happened for a lot of reasons… but I have been limping along - since , I run a retail site… the holiday season was not the time for me to try to figure it all out… But it seems I need to do a clean install. - but very much like windows updates - hope and pray things don’t break… really upset - my fingerprint reader not working…

Windows 7… that is better than ten by 1 million times

I experienced everything you’re describing about Fusion when I first started. I had a nice HP Laptop that was only about a year old and experienced nothing but problems. And while it sure didn’t seem like my computer was the weak link when trying to draw and edit simple 2 D sketches, I had the opportunity to snag my kids’ high end Gigabyte and Predator gaming computers and they ran F360 flawless. Now whenever one of them isn’t home or on a console, I steal their computers for everything F360.

Just like everything else about the Crossfire, “good enough” is far from it with the CNC plasma process. Yeah, a Vipercut with hand torch works but have you seen a Hypertherm with machine torch? Yeah, a 30 gal Huskey works, but have you seen a 2stage 80gal with refrigerated dryer??? Yeah a 2x2 with no THC fits in the corner and is relatively cheap but have you seen a 4x4 with THC???

The entire Crossfire experience is like a gateway drug lol

5 Likes

I have contacted support, they said my hardware is not the problem. They recommend a clean install. one of my upgrades got corrupted. likely due to a network issue.

How did you do the nice gold brown finish? Bad ass!