Newb! Need advice. Tomahawk 625

New to the forum!

I’ve only seen one post about wiring for a Lincoln Tomahawk 625. Has anyone else used this plasma cutter for their LCP CNC table? Any advice on wiring would be appreciated! I picked my table up used this weekend and am really chompin’ to get the plasma hooked up.

I’m still trying to wrap my head on hooking up the THC and the torch on/off. Trying to read as much as I can! The tomahawk does not have a CNC port so it will need to be hard wired.

Thanks

Egghead

1 Like

Welcome…

It sounds harder than it really is.

It’s wired same as any other without cnc port. Tap into torch switch wires for the on off control. Download a manual if you’re not sure what you’re looking at inside the 625.

Connect the raw voltage wires to the torch and ground leads. Those plug into the thc module only one way. The last wire goes back to the control box and has your 50:1 split all setup.

Running the setup process in fire control will do the rest.

1 Like

Thank you for the response!

I got it all hooked up this evening and did my first cut. Im pretty stoked to have it up and running… so excited i forgot to hook my ground and kept pausing the program…hah! All is working well, need to figure my “kerf” in sheetcam. If i figure out how to upload pics i will post them of my wiring for future Lincoln users.

Thanks Again JA6 for the reply!

1 Like

You bet! Congrats on running 1st cut. Quick way to do kerf Calc is make a 1" square with a 1/2" circle in middle. Run it with you best guess on kerf setting… caliper the outside and whatever the difference is, add or subtract half of that to your previous kerf offset.

So square measures.0.960 after first cut… You’ve got too little kerf offset… 0.04

But since that is on both sides of the cut, you half it. Add 0.02. Recheck it and you should be good.

1 Like

I will most certainly play around with that today! Thank you for the tip on setting the kerf! I really need to go get a good compressor… mine is a small harbor freight unit, worked fine with free hand cuts on the plasma… now that I’m wanting to build signs, brackets and such ill need a bigger compressor. The plan is to use the harbor freight tank for a reserve tank.

I saw your post about your shop set-up, pretty awesome! I’m a machinist myself. Started on a manual mill, went to a large boring mill… now on a large CNC bridge mill.

Advice is much appreciated!

Egghead

2 Likes

Please tell me how well you like your Tomahawk 625 on the table. I’m about to pull the trigger on a table and due to my outstanding results with my Lincoln 180HD MIG welder I’m seriously considering buying the Tomahawk 625 plasma cutter. I think I’ll rarely be cutting anything thicker than 1/2".

2 Likes

Made the first cuts with my Tomahawk 625 and it did a fine job after I changed the electrode and nozzle on my torch.

One issue that I had to deal with is the programmed in 2 second delay for the initial torch fire that isn’t there for subsequent cuts during the post-flow period, but this evening I found that there’s a setting in the Post file that can be changed to add this delay for the initial fire and it seems like it should take care of this issue.

2 Likes

i certainly apologize for the delay! I never saw your reply asking about the Tomahawk Plasma. I will note the only problems I’m facing with mine is a thermal alarm during long cuts. I’m guessing this is because I’m running to many amps. I will trying different ranges and see if it corrects the issue. Other than that the price of electrodes for the Lincoln machine are pricey! Machine cuts great, ive had it a few years now. Only recently did i buy my Langmuir and hook it up. All work prior has been hand work.

1 Like

Know what ya mean about the consumables - I just ordered some yesterday and my bank card was whining about it.

I had my first day making simple parts today and for the most part I’ve got the settings sorted out though I still have some experimenting to do with piercing settings on thin material and a THC. I didn’t run into any thermal limits but my average cut time was only around 30 sec. I ran it full bore and adjusted the travel speed for thin material and it made some nice cuts.

BTW, changing that setting in the post before importing it into SheetCam did in fact take care of that 2 sec delay on the first cut after power up.

2 Likes