New user - suggestions on plasma cutter dual voltage

Hey All, thanks in advanced. I am looking for some guidance on the plasma cutter I need to purchase with the CNC table. From what I’ve gathered so far having the CNC ready plasma cutter avoids any manual wiring which is what I want. I’m also limited to 120v 20Amp power. Does the razor cut CNC 45 dual voltage?

My goals of using the CNC would be mostly thin metal 1/8” or less for small projects/signs etc, up to 3/16” plate for the thicker projects. Possibly a few items at the 1/4” thickness.

Anyways what plasma cutter should I be looking at from the site? Or is there another CNC ready plasma cutter on the market that I could look at (it’s got to be dual voltage) 120 and 220 volt.

A couple modes I was looking at. Would these require the modified CNC plug to fit the crossfire controller? I also ordered the THC unit for an option down the road for larger metal. Not sure I’d need it for starting out.

Lotos Supreme LTP5500DCNC Non-Touch Pilot Arc CNC Enabled Digital Plasma Cutter THC Torch Height Control Enabled, Dual Voltage 110V/220V, 3/5 inch Clean Cut, Brown

hynade CNC Plasma Cutter Blow Back, Non-HF Pilot Arc Non-Touch 110/220V Plasma Cutting Machine, THC Torch Height Control Enabled (CUT60DN)

Thanks a ton!

Can’t really make a suggestion on which one. Be sure to look at capabilities and duty cycles for each one. I don’t believe you will cut very much if any 1/4 or thicker on 120 volts. I would also say the duty cycle will be very low as well on 120 volts.

6 Likes

I know this is not what you want to hear, but a 120v plasma cutter will seriously impede your table’s operation. As Phillipw said, the duty cycle will turn into a major headache.

4 Likes

The Everlast 52i for $799 is a choice to consider. It has a duty cycle of 60% @ 25 amps with 120v 25 amp supply voltage. Cutting out anything bigger than a small project at 1/4 inch will be out of the question.
You need to access the electrical supply issue in your shop instead of wasting your money on a machine that is far from what is required.

Type:

IGBT

Voltage/phase:

Dual Voltage 120/240 1 Phase

Output Amp/Volt Range:

• 120V: 20A/88V-25A/90V
  • 240V: 20A/88V-50A/100V

OCV:

200V

Max Inrush ( I1MAX ) Amps:

• 120V: 32.1A
  • 240V: 35.8A

Maximum Rated (I1EFF ) Input Amps:

• 120V: 24.9A
  • 240V: 27.9A

Duty Cycle At Rated Amps/Volts:

• 120V: 60% @ 25A/90V
  • 240V: 60% @ 50A/100V

Arc Start Type:

Blow Back (Piston type)

PilotArc:

Yes

Torch Type:

Italian designed iPT 60

CNC Interface Port:

Yes

Adjustable Post Flow Timer:

Yes

Gouging:

Light or occasional

Recommended Cutting Air Pressure:

72-75 psi

Recommended Compressor Capacity:

5.0 cfm or better with 25 gallon tank

5 Likes

Especially on a 20 amp circuit…

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I know the electrical situation is not ideal, however I’ll be about a year out from upgrading our electrical service, that’s why I wanted the dual voltage. Hopefully I can get going on smaller projects and learn the system for now.

I do see several YouTube videos of people using the everlast cutter.

Do you know if the CNC wiring is manual ? Looks like a lot of people are replacing the port and hard wiring the CNC wire controller?

1 Like

The wiring is not that scary. Don’t be turned off by having to hook up a couple of wires.

2 Likes

thanks again for the confidence booster!

1 Like

Has anyone had experience with this machine? Primeweld Cut 60

1 Like

There are many of us here using that machine - It is an excellent choice…

2 Likes

Buy the Everlast and never look back.

1 Like

Thanks again BigDaddy!

Would you mind summarizing how the CNC controller is hooked into the everlast ? I’ve seen plenty of videos on the THC z axis controller, but not fully understanding how the pin connector on the back of the Everlast works the the Crossfire table. Do I need to replace the connector and solder new connector? I contacted Langmuire and asked about the Razor Cut 45 and they said there is a special cable that you can’t buy unless you also buy the cutter.

So the question is do I need to make a cable for the Everlast?

Thanks!

The table will come with all of the wires that you need.

The Everlast will come with a CNC port on the back and a blank CNC connector that screws onto the port.

You will have to solder two wires from the torch on/off wire to pins 1&2 of the blank CNC connector. Polarity doesn’t matter.

You can take your chances with soldering the THC wires to the CNC connector, or go with the proven method of connecting to raw voltage inside the plasma cutter.

There are pictures of where to connect in several threads here, or you can DM me and I’ll help you get it connected.

2 Likes

Thanks a ton! I’ll take your offer on the DM assistance. I’m going to spend the next couple weeks reading and reviewing all this content and learning it. I may get stuck and reach out to you!

I appreciate your direct assistance to help me get going!

2 Likes

Sorry, I have a giant water leak that needs to be fixed today. 2" 200psi main. 6 ft deep hole. What ds690 said its easy peezee.

1 Like

As mentioned your power supply is going to be your limiting factor. I had to upgrade my service to 200amp just to be able to run my table and plasma and welders. I did all the work my self so it saved me a ton of money.

I was really nervous about the electrical inspection because I’m no electrical but I got some info from a local licensed electrician and passed with flying colors. It’s really not hard but very intimidating if you never done it.

I use the primeweld and really like it so far

2 Likes

I mean would it really be an issue using 120v cutting thin 14 and 16 - 18 gauge mild steel?

I’m able to TIG weld on 120v at 60-90 amp setting and MIG with my Lincoln 140. But at times I do hit the limit when welding straight for let’s say 60 seconds ? Most welding a hobbiest would do welding spurts around 7-20 seconds? Max?

For CNC plasma forms what I’ve seen, it’s constantly going on and off and would cutting a simple to moderate design 18x18” blow the breaker?

I just ordered the Everlast 52i
Table just shipped!!

You will be ok. Just run it at 30 amps or so amps.
If it starts tripping the breaker, then you can deal with it.
It’s a great machine, you won’t be sorry.
Welcome to the club. Now that it’s all in the works, you can start watching all the Fusion videos till you reach the end of YouTube.

3 Likes

I reached the end of YouTube and started over - I am on reruns now…

1 Like

I would buy a generator to run the machine before I ever considered using a 110v plasma cutter.