New to the game of cnc plasma cutting

Hello all… been lurking here for a while and i figured its time to introduce my self. I live in nc and currently run a small motorcycle shop and just purchased a regular crossfire. Looking forward to learning and contributing as much as i can…With that being said. Can any of you tell me if this laptop i have will work well with mach 3 and fusion?..here are the specs…HP EliteBook 8460p Laptop / i5 2.5GHZ / 160GB / 4GB DDR3 Windows 10 …ive looked up the minimum requirements and i think this covers it. I don’t have a lot of experience with the software needed to run the table as ive only really ever played around with inkscape a little bit designing stickers and some shirts for the shop. It will only be used for work on the table…Thanks for any insight and l look forward to learning all i can

1 Like

Welcome fellow TarHeel! I’m in central NC, where are you?

I’m not certain about the rest of the laptop you’re talking about but you should have at least 8GB of memory. 4GB is the baseline for Windows 10 and the extra 4GB will make a world of difference.

1 Like

I agree with Tom…I usually do…

my question is…how old is the table,…if you bought a new one it will not run on Mach3…
if it is new it will run on FireControl…
only the old tables run on Mach3…

1 Like

Hello…yeah its an older table … i was on the fence about ordering and waiting for a pro or just getting an XL crossfire and actually came across this one on marketplace in fantastic shape already set up as an XL and it was local to me…im in winston salem btw…So i should probably just get a laptop with atleast 8 GB is what im hearing

Adding extra ram is cheaper than buying a new laptop.

1 Like

I would also like to add if you are just getting into fusion 360 that I would reconsider using something else because fusion is a web based software that you can run offline but you will have to connect at times to continue working with it. They are constantly making changes and I could be wrong but I think that they are fading out the free portion and will become a payed app only. I find that “Solid Edge” is similar to fusion 360 but is an app that is installed on a device which can run on a smaller device with 4GB DDR. You can while waiting on your table install different apps to try them out and see which one fits your needs. You don’t have anything to lose but time. I hope this helps & Good Luck!

2 Likes

So i guess i will see about adding some ram to the laptop i have… and definitely look into SOLID EDGE to see what thats about…does it play well with inkscape etc?

If you go with Solid Edge, you’ll need to use SheetCam as your CAM tool. Solid Edge has a CAM tool but it’s expensive. If you’re a hobbyist then you can get a Student license for Solid Edge for free, but the designs can only be imported into another Student version of the software. Solid Edge will export DXF & SVG, either one will work with SheetCam. I should add there is also a 2D version of Solid Edge that is pretty good and free (at the moment).

If you’re doing 2D Artwork, then Inkscape and/or Affinity Designer are what I would recommend. Inkscape is obviously free, Affinity Designer will cost normally $49.99 but is currently on sale for $24.95 and I HIGHLY recommend it. You won’t need a lot of computer for SheetCam, Inkscape, or Affinity Designer. I can’t comment on Solid Edge because I only run it on my workstation which has gobs of memory.

2 Likes

See… thats what i like about this group …always willing to help and answer questions especially for the rookies like me…Thanks for the guidance everybody… now to go find some of this software to play with