New Primeweld Cut 60 on CrossFire

Hey, thanks for sharing they look really great, I appreciate you sharing I will be in contact with you it will be my first plasma table too. Would you be willing and is there a way to PM on certain things? Also, do you have pictures or video of you using your table.

Again thanks for sharing your accomplishments with me, I look forward to further discussion about this.

1 Like

I sent you a PM.

Good luck

Hi, may I please ask how you wired the CNC port on the primeweld cut 60 to the Langmuir electrical box? I simply wired pins 1 and 2 (turn on) on the CNC port to the two wires supplied with the Langmuir kit. I can run through a gcode program with no problems with the plasma off, when when I turn the plasma cutter on, the cross fire will not move, but the torch will fire. And I hear a clicking from the plasma cutter. Wondering in I have to use pins 9 and 10 also, which are the OK to move signal? I’m a bit stuck here! Thanks, Jim

1 and 2 are the trigger wires. I have never seen anyone needing to wire to 9 and 10.

Thank you, this is what I thought. I think I’ll wire a manual external switch to the CNC pins 1 and 2, and try to fire and shut the torch off completely isolated from the Langmuir crossfire electrical box, and Mach3 on my laptop. Perhaps I may have a bad CNC board in the plasma cutter. Of this works OK, then I have to start debugging Mach3 and this gcode, or maybe the crossfire electrical box has a bad component in it, which I doubt. This is a weird one, the torch moves through the entire gcode fine, but when I power up the plasma, as soon as it fires, Mach3 will freeze, I can’t even shut the torch off with F5. Or stop or reset in Mach3, I have to hit the power switch on the plasma cutter.

1 Like

As Mechanic416 said, I only wired in pins 1 and 2 and nothing else, I can run gcode on my table with the primeweld off and it won’t effect the table moving at all. You can also check your wiring by hitting the F5 button on your keyboard when mach3 is on and connected to your table and the torch should fire and go off next time you hit the F5.

did you put the ferrite choke on the USB cable with 2 loops? i also have the CUT60 and it will hang the computer at times as you described. what i would do first to troubleshoot is separate the cutter from the table as far as you can and the laptop in the opposite direction away from the cutter. if that works then you’re getting interference/noise in the USB cable.

all you need are pins 1 & 2 on the CNC port.

Hi Don, Yes, I did try to fire and shut the torch off with F5 in Mach, and it worked OK. This was in one of the instruction videos from Langmuir, firing the torch if I recall… because this worked, my problem seemed even stranger. :confused:

Good lead, I’ll try this, thanks. No I do not have any ferrite blocks on the wire, or loops. Because the wire included with the crossfire didn’t have any, I didn’t even think about it. Thanks again.

do you have the regular CF or Pro? if the Pro, then Langmuir sent out the chokes to the Pro users. I would contact them to see if they’ll send you one. if not, they are pretty cheap on amazon. I bought a set of 20 in different sizes and put them on all my cables for added protection… lol

Just for reference, I did not have to do any of that, my primeweld sits about 3ft from the table and my computer sits about 2ft from the table on the other side.

Maybe I just got lucky?

yeah probably… mine doesn’t hang often though.

Hi, I have the CF, I sent a note to Support at Langmuir on this too, maybe they can also give me some direction on how to debug this and this ferrite shielding… for the usb cables. Thanks again… in the meantime I’ll check on amazon

1 Like

Hi, I separated the plasma, table and computer as far as I could, put two loops in the wire from the plasma CNC port to the CF electrical box, but I didn’t have any ferrite blocks. Tested again and it still hung up Mach 3 and the torch remained firing, I had to shut off power on the plasma cutter. I also ordered some ferrite snap on blocks from amazon, so will try again when I get them installed on the CNC wire. Thanks again for the ideas. I’ll keep fiddling with it…

1 Like

Update on this after a helpful exchange with Langmuir support. One new option is ground the machine, I just wanted to share that with the Thread.

Here are some things you can try:

1. Create as much space as possible between your plamsa cutter and the CrossFire’s control box.

2. Use a USB cable with double ferrite chokes. This usually clears up most EMI issues, and we can sell you ferrite chokes if you do not want to obtain a cable with them preinstalled on your own.

3. If you have the means to do so, install a grounding rod to ground the cutter.

4. Use a plasma cutter listed on our Plasma Cutters Compatible With The CrossFire chart.

Update… thanks again for suggestions. I’ve done everything suggested, even ran a ground from crossfire frame to ground, as well as adding ferrite blocks and separating table, torch, and computer, and it didn’t work unfortunately. The plasma did run further, almost cutting out a interior square on my model, but then it froze again. So, it seems like the safest way to go is get a recommended plasma cutter from Langmuir, they have been helpful too, and selling this primeweld cut 60.

1 Like

don’t know if you mentioned it or not but have you tried a different USB cable and/or USB port on you computer? Also the chokes will go on that cable NOT the torch firing cable.

so you would add 2 loops on the ends of the USB cable and add the chokes.

It’s weird that yours is having so much interference.

1 Like

Hi, I added the chokes to the torch firing cable, my bad, not the usb cable from the computer to the crossfire control box, that cable already has one ferrite choke in it as it came with the crossfire. It’s easy to put a loop in each end of that cable, add a choke on the computer end and try it in different USB ports of the laptop. So I’ll give it a try… thanks! Otherwise I’ll just buy a razorweld through Langmuir and hope that corrects the interference.

It worked!!! I hacked on a ferrite choke from another cord, put two loops in a different USB That I stole from my wife’s printer (she gonna be pissed) and cut out my model 4 times. So happy. nicaDd, If this forum has a private message thing, send me your address, I’d like to send you a bottle of your favorite beverage! I’m totally serious, least I could do. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Curious if you are in a steel building. I moved mine from my old garage to my new shop in a steel building and started getting interference. I now have to have my computer and crossfire’s control box 25 feet apart from each other to stop interference… I am curious about your ferrite chole setups, any pics?

1 Like

Hi, nope, Standard 3 car garage shop, Concrete floor, Wooden frame, stucco.