My indoor usage solution journey

I convinced my wonderful fiancee to let me kick out a tenant from our basement and reach for my metal fabrication dreams. What had been effectively a studio apartment became an additional living/guest room, and the back half is now my shop.

Because I’m using my CFP indoors, there are some precautionary steps I’ve had to take. This is just what I’ve done in an attempt to keep things clean and safe inside.

My air system is a 60 gallon compressor, aftercooler in to a Tsunami water separator, then in to the tank. After the tank, air moves into a drop system I made out of pex and a bunch of fittings, then in to 3-stage cleaner/seperator/drier on the wall. From them there, it goes from the closet in to my shop, drops for the machines, and ultimately in to the garage next door. Everything is 3/4" Pex. There is another desiccant drier and a regulator at the table.

First thing I did to keep the place clean was put up a welding blanket on the walls my table sits up against. Woohoo.

My Ms. added curtains between the two spaces to help cut down on cross-flow mess. I probably don’t need to tell you this still resulted in a nice fine black dust everywhere.

So I started on ventilation. I’m still working on this, but this has been the process.

I bought 2x 850CFM sucker fans and mounted them in the drop ceiling directly above the table. I ran duct through the ceiling and ultimately exhausts outside the house through dryer flaps.

This was helpful, but not sufficient.

While I was messing with the air quality thing, I found myself with way too much steel laying around with no organization whatsoever. My easy cheap solution was to build a box with wood and store it in the shop.

Next thing I did was add an enclosure around the table. I ordered some custom-sized weld/spark safe curtains and some track material. I used the table to make some wall mounts that ultimately anchored the tracks in to the sheet rock.

Again, helpful but not entirely efficient. The curtains aren’t held to the walls or the corner pole, so smoke coming from the sides of the table was just floating out of the enclosure. I also determined my weld blanket on the wall needed to be extended to keep the walls clean.

Proxima, I decided I was tired of the exposed air system in the shop room, and my drier/regulator set up was janky. I made the plans to clean up the whole shebang.

I chose to remote-mount the control box outside of the enclosure. I also wanted to store the plasma machine outside of the enclosure. Both for the reasons of long-term cleanliness, as well as the ability to turn on/adjust them both without opening the curtains. I cut some mounts for each unit, bent them on my homebrew brake, and anchored them to the walls. Each is 1/8" steel. I streamlined the regulator/drier set up as well.

With the control box to be mounted away from the table, I was able to narrow the enclosure by about 6". This gave me enough room between the enclosure and the closet door to fit the plasma machine. I also added velcro to the corner post to stick the curtains snug to it, and made L-brackets to anchor to the wall for the same purpose. I also tucked all of the air plumbing in to the ceiling, so it’s not visible running all around the room now. Much tidier.

This brings me to today. Because of the distance between the table and the box, and the curtains between them, several of the cables are too short to work properly. I extended the wiring today for my limit switches, and ordered VGA extensions to add a few feet to the X axis and one of the others (I forget which off hand). My plasma mount was also a little springy, so I designed/cut/welded some arms to it to keep the machine sturdy.

My hope is that with the enclosure fully sealed up, the fans will generate enough suction to keep up with the torch. If this is still insufficient, I’ve already talked to one of my HVAC vendors about forming a duct that will allow me to mount a whole-house fan on the wall next to the table. Ain’t nothing gonna get out of the box at that point.

So there it is. I’ll update as it gets buttoned up in the next few days.

This is how it sits as of tonight after cleaning up my messes.

5 Likes

WOW!
Those fans should really move the air. I recently installed a 735CFM fan in my finishing room. So much better than the previous bathroom fan at 80CFM.

I really like the metal storage.

I was going to get that sand blasting cabinet. Was all set to go buy it and decided I would rather have a utility trailer. I really like the trailer: So no buyer’s remorse.

You have really done a lot of work. Congratulations.

1 Like

Wow that’s a really really, nice space for two of the most dirtiest processes I can think of. Please post back after 6 months, I would love to see how this worked out and if your walls are still White!
Now I’m not sure about your blast cabinet, looks brand new. But if you have a vac of some sort hooked to it, it will spew fine dust all over if its like mine.

You have really gone all out on trying to keep that room clean. One other thing to think about is your HVAC duct work in your house that takes care of this room. If there is a return air in there if will pull this stuff throughout your house!

I would also seal that curtain to the ceiling or smoke will leak out. Try to make it so the air coming into the space where your table is has to pull air from down at the floor.

2 Likes

Holy Crap - You spent more time designing that space then I did raising my 4 kids and they are all adults now!!! Great use of space and attention to detail…

3 Likes

This is a really good point!

2 Likes

Thanks gentlemen.

The blast cabinet was a fun investment. I’ve always wanted one, and I’ve used it for a number of projects already. Not much mess from it, though. It has the air filter on the back and the only real problem is media dropping from the door to the floor when I open it. My compressor is working hard to keep up, though. An upgrade may be needed.

Luckily no HVAC pick ups in this room, only dumps.

3 Likes

So does your have a vac attached? or just a filtered vent to allow the pressure build up a place to go?

I use my blast cabinet all the time - I do get some media dust escaping from cracks / crevices but I agree the worst of it is from the door opening…

I will have to look into the filter bag on my vac maybe I am missing something.

Mine came with a big dust collector mounted on the back of the cabinet. It turns on with the light switch on the machine. Very loud, but does a good job of keeping dust out of the air. Fortunately, my machine set up without any noticeable leaking.

In my research, it seems running something like a shopvac on the cabinet can still result in a good bit of dust as the standard filters on those vacs is not fine enough for blast media :person_shrugging:

I use my shop vac with no filter bag - I do have it running through a cyclone type device that captures quite a bit of media before it actually reaches the shop vac.

Do you have one of these?

They claim they get 90% of the dust… not sure about the percent but they do work.

There are also filters specifically for dust collection.

1 Like

I have seen those before but have never looked into one. The vacuum that on the cabinet has a smaller hose on it then, a wet dry vac. I will have to see what size it is and look into it. There also might be a issue with the bag inside the Vac.

1 Like

I tried some arts and crafts today which ended up being a fail. But, items have been ordered, new plan is in place, and I should be up and running in a couple of days.

1 Like

Fantastic work! I’m not sure I fully grasp your ventilation system. If your sealing up the area around the table, the fans aren’t going to pull air out of your enclosure. I believe you need to add some vents for intake air beneath the table, so it pulls air around the table and out of the house.

I don’t think that enclosure is air tight by any means

Definitely not air tight but for my purposes, I think it will be sufficient. The walls of the curtain are velcro’d to the corner post and side walls. I think they’re snug enough that smoke escapage should (hopefully) be minimal.

The bottom of the enclosure is not velcro’d, so it will be my intake area. I am also adding material to the top to discourage leakage up there.

This is sort of trial and error. I’m not engineer, I just need to keep my Ms. happy :smile:

1700 CFM worth? OK, Let’s say the two fans are a total of 850 CFM after you factor in the ductwork. Simple test would be through a milk crate beneath the curtain and run the fans. I believe air is like water, and electricity, it will flow in the path of least resistance, currently above your curtain. If you had a decent vent blow, it will pull most air from that, and also pull in some air above the curtain, picking up any leakage.

1 Like

Now that you say that, this was one of the issues why I backed out of buying the sand blast cabinet. My Husky 60 gallon, single stage compressor boasts that it has 11.5 CFM at 90 PSI. The Grizzly cabinet states a maximum air requirement of 5-35 CFM @ 120 PSI. I put 2 +2 together and realized that I would probably fall short of fully nourishing the appetite of that blast cabinet.

Plus, I have a space issue. If I had the room like you have, I would have gone for it. I guess there is some space in our bedroom if I take the dresser out!? :rofl:

OK, let’s math this out!

Fans are each 7-800 CFM (advertised, at least). The ducts are 4" and run maybe 8’ out of the house .

I had been considering air would suck in just above the tops of the rails, but have recently decided that if anything was going to escape, it would be at the top. So I’m going to attach some 6" wide foam rubber to the rails on the interior of the enclosure, so they foam touches the ceiling and extends below the rail to encourage rising smoke to stay within the enclosure until sucked up.

At the bottom, the curtains are affixed down to about 8" below the deck of the table. I wanted to catch most smoke from the sides. Below that, it’s open (loose) and I can gap it to allow for easy air draw beneath. If I need to roll the bottom of the side curtain up for, NBD.

The fans do have enough suckage that the curtains gently suck inward a bit when I flip the switch. Hoping they can keep up with the projects I have lined up.

1 Like