Miller 875 overkill for Crossfire Pro

lair12, is the good price you started this thread with on the 875 the $2000.00 Craigslist find? These go for over $3000.00 new, depending on the condition of the machine, that is not a bad price. I paid $1500.00 for mine, it was recently serviced by authorized Miler service repair and the previous owner never used it after getting it back. Its good to go, I cut with it before I took it home. As far as getting fine cuts with it, I’m sure you could get fine cut consumables and turn the amperage down, but that remains to be seen? I plan on cutting mostly 1/4" material on mine. Just a thought, not pushing this cutter on you, you do what you think will work best for you needs.

Only tip options seem to be 40A and 60A for the XT60 torch. Will I ever use a 60A setting if all I cut is 3/16 max? Do you use the 60A with a higher speed, or will the 40A at a slower speed give better results? Never having done this before, I’m not sure whether the additional “horsepower” will hurt me if I do thin cuts and can only get a 40A minimum tip size. The Miller 625 and the Hypertherm 45 both allow for 30A tips which I believe have smaller orifices and cut more finely. The Hypertherm even has a “fine cut” 30A tips which I believe is smaller orifice than their regular 30A tip.

I have a Razor 45 / Pro table and have had no problems with 3/8 and below. I have cut 1/2 without much problem but clean up and edge sharpness is something to deal with but not bad for a few cuts here and there. I mainly cut up to 3/16 and the only thing I’m considering is changing to a machine torch so I can use smaller tips for finer cuts. That’s mainly for smaller text type stuff. Other than that I have been able to cut clean, fast and without much dross to clean up. it works well for thin gauge metal.

What model 80 amp Lotos plasma cutter do you have? All the Lotos 80 amp plasma cutters are High Frequency that I know of and they don’t work well on CNC tables.

If you are getting the new Razorweld 45 it comes with a TH70/X45 torch. There is only one cutting tip for that torch it is rated at 50 amp.

A machine torch has some advantages over a hand torch on a CNC table. Once the machine torch is mounted and squared to the table your cuts should all be the same. When changing consumables you don’t have to remove the torch. As well as the torch and cable weight is not hanging off to the front or side, and the THC can work better.

2 Likes

@mechanic416 you’re right, I forgot it’s HF. So I guess I’m in the hunt for a unit to go on the XR… The 2021 Everlast 82i was on my shortlist… a bit tough to find one right now, bit machine isn’t showing up till Oct.

That is a good unit for the price. If they ever get working on the docks at the port they will be in stock.

not sure if I mentioned it…I run the 62i…
make sure when you do get it and set it up you get raw voltage right from the lugs inside the front of the machine…
the pins on the back are not reliable for divided or raw voltage.

do a search for everlast raw voltage here and you will find a few pictures.

2 Likes

@toolboy Thanks for the heads up. Probably going the Everlast route… that gouge feature is interesting… I see Lincoln is marketing their table setup as capabilities of “etching” text without throughcut.

7+ years with Everlasts…I have not used that feature yet…

the etching feature sounds more useful for artistic uses…

I don’t know anything about miller machines but in my opinion having the ability to cut more than I plan is preferred. Also need to take duty cycle into consideration a more powerful cutter will have a better duty cycle on the material you plan to use. At least that’s the way I understand it. CNC duty cycle is different than using it by hand look into Everlast for a budget machine I’ve had good success with the 52i

I’ve decided to go with the Hypertherm 45XP with machine torch. There seem to be so many possible problem spots, I just don’t want the cutter to be an additional source and I want to start with as much plug and play as possible before I start mods. Thanks for all your comments.

I have the Spectrum 875 Auto-line as well. Did you come up with a good way to wire for automation? I see in the manual is says, “Remote trigger will only operate with a machine torch installed. Remote trigger is disabled when a handheld torch is installed.” I have the handheld torch I originally got with mine. Don’t really feel like spending another $1,000 to get a machine torch. I’m assuming with the machine torch there’s a jumper that bridges two pins that enables the remote trigger.

1 Like

Nick, I bought the Miller Internal Remote Harness part# 265528, the Voltage Sensing Signal Wire part # 246285 & the Shield Sense Tab part # 263310. For some reason the CNC Signal Cable part # 220240 is no longer available, this is the cable that connects to the internal remote harness, why it is no longer available from Miller is beyond me. I haven’t called Miller yet on this. I visited a member from here (Travis) he got a pigtail from HTP part # 64672, He said I could bring my cutter to his shop and see if it is compatible with the Miller connector. I’ll see if i can do this this weekend. I am going to use a machine torch. Do a Spectrum 875 Autoline search on this forum, someone posted about the hand torch wiring. I will let you know what I find out about the connector.

1 Like

HTP America Inc. part # 64672 is compatible with the Miller Internal Harness. Now, I will need to figure out which pins go where?

1 Like

chuck do you have the older Spectrum 625? or the newer Xtreme version?

The newer 625 Xtreme with the XT40 torch

Did you ever connect the machine torch with the spectrum 875 auto line to the Xr?

Not sure who you are directing your question to? As for me, I haven’t put my table together yet. Still have unanswered questions, I plan on contacting Miller when I get to that point.