Metal prep tips and tricks and fails

Hey Steve…

I’m interested in this… Is this what you’re talking about?? ---->

Willing to give something else a try and, it looks pretty affordable too!

1 Like

Thats the stuff

1 Like

I know this may be an old topic, but I have a bottle of this left over, is it similar to the stuff from Columbia Coatings? POR-15® Metal Prep | Metal Etching Rust Neutralizer

If it contains iron phosphate then I’d say yes…

Thread is a little old but seems like the place to ask. I built a 4’x4’x3" stainless vertical dip tank for using vinegar and and thinking about just keeping it outside, has anyone played around with adding something like RV antifreeze to keep it from freezing? For those keeping it inside does just keeping a loose cover over it keep the smell down or it has to be a tight seal?

Thanks

It will evaporate if uncovered. I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets with lids. I also change it out when it starts loosing effectiveness.

I have even accidentally left it outside and it froze no worries though

2 Likes

I would love to build this…I had drawn up plans to include a small circulation pump and fliter to strain out the sludge and keep the vinegar lasting longer…
I had also designed a gasket sealed lid…tp prevent issues with vapours I decided I would put one of those little vents they use in wine making…to reduce evaporation but allow some breathing…

But I am having trouble finding panels to do this with…

1 Like

I keep mine in an old Rubbermaid tote. It seals good so it doesn’t evaporate. I’d like to have something 36x48x3 that has a lid with a seal just haven’t found the right ingredients yet…

1 Like

what is that?

they are used for wine making…
you put a little water in and it allows the air to BURP out while not free venting to evaporate or smell up the room…

2 Likes

I drain mine back into the containers it came in and store it on a shelf. It freezes at a lower temperature than water. I think 28 deg F or lower depending on the concentration. Last I checked mine hadn’t frozen yet. the shop is unheated, but the roof and wall metal are a dark color so in if the sun is out it warms up a bit inside during the day. We have had temps as low as -30F since I last checked so… maybe I better go out and look. Between traveling for work every other week since the start of the year and the cold I haven’t been able to do any cutting since the Christmas break.

I keep my vinegar (10% cleaning vinegar) station outside in the forbidden sandbox.

31BG3iyc8nL.AC_SY580
31H7q3PgVmL.AC_SY580

Have had the top freeze before and some slush. below -5c it starts to be harder to deal with outside and the reaction seems to slow quite a bit.

Not quite that big but the biggest one I could find with a lid that was inexpensive.

4 Likes

Why @toolboy … triggering my OCD.

You must have posted that picture just to mess with me.

The bung plug is installed upside down in that picture.

4 Likes

I wondered about that as well… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

heheheheheheehhe

I have some Klean Strip® Concrete & Metal Prep & Etch ordered but it wont be here till next week. Any suggestions for an alternative in the mean time? I am not in a populated area, but there has got to be something that will do. The project is for outdoor yard stakes that will be powder coated with zinc primer and solid top coat. This is my fist powder coat job, so I want the prep to be as good as possible and from what I have read, the Phosphoric acid is a good place to start.

Prep all is the same stuff. It is used in commercial applications a lot. I would suggest a overnight soak in vinegar that will remove or help remove mill scale then you can etch the material with sand paper or sandblast.

I never chemical etch I always do vinegar then sandblast.

2 Likes