Metal box generator

Is there a box generating software similar to the ones used with laser cutters? I haven’t received my unit yet but feel the first project will be custom metal boxes for some conduit that needs to run between the house and garage

If your talking about the electric you will need to operate the complete system, this may help.

You will need 2 - 240 volt outlets, 1 - 30 amp for the compressor and 1 - 50 amp for the plasma cutter. 4 - 120 volt 20 amp outlets for the table, computer, lights, etc.

You could get by with less but this is what I would recommend.

1 Like

Thank you for the help ( I’ll take any advice). I ran a 50 amp line out to the garage for the plasma. I’ve got the "inverter " version of the harbor freight titanium but figured I would get better results going to the 220 line setup. I’m actually looking for a box generator similar to the ones that are used for the laser cutters. You are able to input the dimensions and the program creates the box that can be exported as a gcode. https://www.makercase.com/#/

You could use the sheetmetal function in fusion360 to design your boxes and it will create a flat pattern for you.

3 Likes

So what you want to do is make your own electric boxes to put your receptacles into instead of buying electric boxes.

I don’t want to dissuade you from making stuff, but for electric boxes in your residence, I’d go with UL Listed ones you purchase. Sole reason is if something bad happens and insurance adjuster sees ‘strange / non standard’ looking electrical stuff my guess is they won’t be too willing to cut that check. But, that’s just my opinion. Take it for what’s it worth (about 2c)…

I actually like the idea of making custom raceways and stuff like that as well…it just seems like this is not one of those “just because you can, you should” type things.

On the other hand, if it’s inspected and cleared, then I guess all good.

3 Likes

I just have a low voltage conduit that a normal box won’t fit in the area I need to put it in. So I thought I’d try to make one.

Thanks. I’ll look in 360.

I’m overly anal about things like that, as I’m the one that has to follow some crews and amazed at what I find. Here’s an example of what we found in our kitchen when we started a remodel. ( cut a line of drywall out, lay the wire in that spot and put paneling over it.) poor%20wiring|690x412

Inscape has a plug in to do what you want.If you google search inkscape box maker you will find it.I think there is different ones so you may have to try them out to find the best.I installed it awhile back and was very excited to use it but I forgot about it till now lol.The one I installed you just plug in all the dimensions plus the amount of tabs and kerf and it produced a dxf.

Great plugin! I use that all the time for tabbed box enclosures that I can cut acrylic boxes in a jiff with my laser cutter. One of the parameters is kerf so you can get nice fitting boxes.

2 Likes

Yeah i figured with plasma you may want to do some trial cut to get the kerf right before cutting alot.Im going to have to try to use this soon and figure it all out.Where I work people are always wanting small locker type boxes to lock up things so they dont have to pack it home.Ill usually make a frame from angle iron or tube then skin that with sheet metal.After getting my crossfire I thought I could just use this method to eliminate the frame and just use sheet metal and a few hindges.

I haven’t tried metal (or the plasma cutter) yet (no welding in my shop :flushed:

But you only need to cut 2 sides each of three pieces to see how it will fit together. Inkscape treats every line segment as a unique path if you ungroup the objects the plugin makes so it’s easy to strip off any non-essentials for testing.