Measure distance from curve

I’m trying to get a curve right for a memorial bench. I’d like to measure from the top of the curve to the bottom of the piece, but I can’t figure out how to do it. You can see the only two measurements I can seem to get and neither will show the height of the center of the curve.

Thanks!

You would be safest to place a horizontal construction that is constrained to being horizontal and constrained to being tangent to the curve. Then you will always have a solid place to measure.

3 Likes

Place a vertical construction line between the two center points and then just measure its length.

Yep:

Like Tom said, a vertical construction line in the center alleviates all concern for the centering of the arc if you start the circle on the vertical construction line.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I was putting it in the wrong place. Now what is the easiest method to adjust the height (radius?) of the arc to the get the height exactly how I’d like it? It doesn’t give that adjustment like it does for the diameter of a circle.

Click on the radius dimension and change it to want you want it to be… :tumbler_glass: :beers: :grinning:

2 Likes

The vertical line should intersect the top center of the arc and the center of the bottom most line. Those are its end points. Then it IS the reference height of the arc. I don’t see the value of the top horizontal construction line.

3 Likes

You can pull a dimension directly off a tangent without using construction lines. When dimensioning, right click your arc to bring up this menu and select “Pick Circle/Arc Tangent”. Then left click on your arc.

You’ll end up with this.

6 Likes

Thank you! (Wish I could remember all of this!)

I think @holla2040 nailed it! Good job, Craig!

2 Likes

I picked up the tangent tip from Brad Tallis - https://www.youtube.com/@bradtallis8968. He’s awesome with tips.

2 Likes

I understand, you’ll drink from the firehose for a while.

1 Like

That guy/videos are amazing. Just watched this one. https://youtu.be/KZf9dH03_MI?si=oQz6iJE0jNf_7BcQ
If you don’t want to watch the entire thing, just start at the 7:20 mark. Very handy tips, indeed!!!

And I did really like the dimension-from-the-tangent tip. That has been bothering me for awhile when trying to measure from the outside of holes. I obviously demonstrated my clumsy workaround: But won’t be doing that anymore.

Thanks Craig :clap:

2 Likes