Mean Kerf Angle

Hi All,

I have a crossfire that I recently bought used off of someone and It has the XL kit with water table. I am using the Razor cut 45 with the new upgraded 45x torch. Even with new consumables and dry air, I am seeing a high kerf angle on holes and somewhat of a kerf angle on straight lines. Does everyone program holes to cut at a slower feed rate (60% slower)? Just curious because I have been following the recommended cut chart and tip height that was in this forum and the numbers just dont seem to work for me. I tried tons of parameters. My baseline was 10ga steel, 50ipm, 30amps, .060" tip height, new stock 45x consumables, 70psi inlet air pressure. Air is clean and dry (just cleaned tank and water separator). For thinner steel, you can barely notice any kerf angle, just noticed it when i jumped up to 10ga, and I must say, the holes really look like JUNK. I also went back and re-aligned the machine to omit the thought that it is mis-aligned. I know that it would give a kerf angle in one direction if that was the case but it seems pretty even around on a hole.

Thanks for the help!

Is the torch square to the material & gantry?

From what i can tell, yes. I would think otherwise if the entire hole cut out didnt have a concentric kerf angle. Should I be slowing the machine down to like 20ipm? I was only cutting a .4" hole in 10 ga steel on 30 amps…

You can try slowing it down but I have to think that it’s not getting up to speed on holes that small already.

For my HT I’d be doing 10ga at 140ipm at 45A so I’m not entirely sure what the settings will be for 30A. Your best bet is to do a series of test cuts with different speeds. Since you’ve got a RW45, you might want to try bumping the power up too - with material that thick, there’s no real benefit to cutting with 30A. I’d also take a look at your air pressure to make sure it’s up to snuff so you’re getting a good swirl pattern.

Thanks! Ill give it a shot and report back. I really appreciate the help.

Picture of consumables? What water separator do you have? Direction of cut vs contour?