Magnetic Ground Clamp

Hello,

I know that it is important to have a good ground, and that it has been suggested to clamp to the material vs the slats. Unless your material hangs over the edge, clamping to the material tends to cause it to lift up (as well as having your clamp submersed into the cutting fluid). Recently I switched over to a magnetic ground clamp, which I clear a spot of shiny metal with a flap disc. I haven’t added it to my ground cable, but instead clamp the ground to the lugs (allows me to use it with my plasma cutter and welders, without having to buy multiples). Keeps the material nice and flat. Anyone else using a magnetic ground clamp?

2 Likes

Yes. I used an old welding magnet and tacked it to a piece of 18gauge for more surface area contact to the work piece.

I like the low profile so my gantry can pass over it.

3 Likes

I use the exact same one. I love it. It is a little tall when on the metal. Takes some pre planning to avoid crashing into it with the X lead screw.

1 Like

i have the same one as well it it works great.

1 Like

Doesn’t work so well on Aluminum or Stainless though…

3 Likes

This is very true.

1 Like

Thats when you use the good ole clamp.

1 Like

You can put a strip of steel under the alu/ss between the slats and the magnet “clamp” on top - that will lock the magnet to the alu/ss and give you a ground. Or do like people with new induction ranges but old aluminum pans do - put a steel plate under the magnet on top of the project plate. It might slip but you’ll still have contact with the workpiece for current flow.

6 Likes