Mach 3 table display image is so small I can barely see it

Hey all, first post asking for help since my intro.

Here’s my setup: Crossfire w/ Mach3 using a Hypertherm Powermax 45XP.

I installed Mach3 yesterday and began familiarizing myself with it. I can jog to the torch using the arrow keys, and it moves at an appropriate speed. The program is set to inches. The issue I’m having, which I haven’t been able to find a solution for online yet, is that the image of the product in the table display is tiny. It’s so small that it looks like a tiny blue blob.

When I start the cycle for a dry run, the torch barely moves, like it’s cutting that same tiny blob.

Is there a setting I missed upon the initial setup? Has anyone experienced this?

How are you doing the gcode, Sheetcam? Two things here, first if using Sheetcam, you can tell the size of your part there, second in Mach3 use the Regen toolpath button under the picture window to size the part to that window. You must always, always, always, set your axes to zero before every programmed cut in Mach3. If the cut fails you can return to the zeroed point and cut again if ever needed.

Put your torch where you want to start the cut, zero all axes, regen toolpath button, should see a larger size of your part in the pircture window before starting the cut.

1 Like

I’m pulling up the .tap files that are preloaded in Mach3 – the roadrunner, for example, so these files aren’t coming from any CAD program that I have. I tried zeroing my axes, and nothing happens. Strange, because I was able to zero them before.

I’ve tried regenerating the tool path, and a window pops up saying to “please wait, regenerating tool path…” and it never does.

I’m not currently at the shop where the table is, but I’ll update when I’m there to see if connecting to the table changes anything.

Those files weren’t made for the crossfire table and most likely have different variables that would make them smaller.

you would have to create your own g code using the crossfire post process in either fusion or sheetcam to generate the code correctly.

1 Like

Any .tap file should only be made for your setup. I know Fireshare and elsewhere there may be premade .tap files, but I have yet to find any worth a damn. You must use a post processor specific to Langmuir tables in your choice of program to generate the gcode toolpaths. I use Sheetcam and it has always performed correctly.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I’ll try pulling some up from Fireshare and also will draw up some of my own. I’m not even cutting yet, really all I’m trying to do at this point is familiarize myself with the program.

Initially, I was playing around on Fusion to get the hang of CAD. Mostly because it’s free and generates toolpaths for you, but I also believe in the adage, “You get what you pay for.” Sheetcam might be worth looking into.

I’m brand new to CNC, so the learning curve is quite steep.

Nothing against Fusion, it’s an industry standard, but there are many much simpler CAD programs for 2D work.

Punch ViaCad 2d is $55 with a coupon right now.

eMachineShop has a free online CAD program, you can design and download the DXF or SVG to send to Sheetcam.

Another reason Sheetcam is invaluable is creating your own rules for toolpaths, such as slowing down for small holes so they are more round and less tapered inside, also perimeter cut rules too. Sheetcam takes some youtube tutorials to understand it, but once you have the basics, you can fly with generating your gcode for Mach3.

I used my original Crossfire 2x2 since 2018 with Mach3 and Sheetcam, but just recently added THC which requires migrating to Firecontrol for the cutting but I still use Sheetcam always.

2 Likes

Starting off drawing a box or even a couple of bixes & a circle or two is a great way to see how the machine works and what the workflow needs to be - drawing (CAD) → toolpath definition (CAM) → G-Code generation (more CAM) → machine cutting.

Fusion 360 can get you to where you’ve got a file to load into Mach3 and cut but tools like Inkscape (free) can handle the drawing pretty easily and Sheetcam can do the toolpathing & G-Code generation.

Start simple. If you draw a 2" square then you know what the size is supposed to be so you’re a leg up on troubleshooting if anything goes wrong.

4 Likes

This was going to be my homework assignment for tonight – draw up some simple shapes with known dimensions and test them on the table. I’ve played with Inkscape in the past, but no other CAD programs.

Regarding my original issue: I’m happy to say I was able to cut some shapes today. I pulled a file from Fireshare as suggested above, and it worked. I also went into the table display and “pinch & zoomed” to make the image bigger. (I need to get a mouse for my laptop)

This is only day two, so I still have a long road ahead with lots to learn. Thanks for the help so far!!!

2 Likes

This is a great, inexpensive mouse that is Bluetooth capable. That frees up the USB port and avoids the occasional “bad” port issue.
TECKNET Bluetooth Wireless Mouse, 3 Modes Bluetooth 5.0 & 3.0 Mouse 2.4G Wireless Portable Optical Mouse with USB Nano Receiver, 2400 DPI for Laptop, MacBook, PC, Windows, Android, OS System (Blue) https://a.co/d/0bIfCV1

2 Likes

Thanks! A Bluetooth mouse will be necessary, since my laptop only has one USB port.

I hope to get a desktop as a permanent setup, but for now, my laptop will have to do.

2 Likes

Excellent! You’re on your way.

This is a one-day-at-a-time adventure you’ve embarked on. None of us started being able to do magic. It comes over time. Patience is probably the most useful thing to have in your bag of tricks.

5 Likes