Lunatic in middle Georgia

Went a little nuts on Black Friday. Bought an XR1 and an MR1. Uncrated the XR1 Wednesday morning. Performed the break in program at lunch today. Still have to uncrate the MR1. Oh yeah, and learn Fusion 360. Wish me luck and get ready for many stupid questions.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

I am thinking you live by the mantra “Go Big or Go Home?” Except you are home!!

I have been told that your strategy in this situation should be: “like eating an elephant…one piece at a time.”

But in the meantime, we are here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! You have bitten off a pretty big bite there.

What’s your plan for the new equipment? You starting or already in some fabrication business?

1 Like

Good luck and welcome aboard. Life is short, build things.

3 Likes

IMG_3388

Remember that XR isn’t just a plasma table is a CNC machine. I do lots of cool stuff with my PRO that isn’t just plasma cutting. There is a learning curve to fusion so just ask for help if you get stuck. Doing 2D stuff for a little while is easy but if you have the bending capabilities you must start into sheet metal in fusion.

2 Likes

Ok, a little about us. T&W has been around since 03, we at first where a tractor trailer operating business. In 2013 we went straight truck repair. In our business, we have found that many odd tools and such sometime need to be fabbed in house. We have a '76 model Jet 10/24, '56 Southbend 10 heavy and a Southbend manual mill. These have been nice. Also have a Miller 625 Spectrum Extreme and a Miller 252 w/dual bottle rack and spool gun. The 625 does alright, but when great precision and bolt holes come into play, a plasma table will help dramatically I hope. Several of us at T&W are also gear heads, gun nuts and one is into crafts.
The Langmuir equipment is not all we picked up Black Friday. Also have to uncrate and set up a Bambu Lab X1. So the plans for the new equipment is vast. As the learning curve of Fusion 360 appears. Time will tell if I am truly a lunatic, or a man with a plan.

2 Likes

I just got the new A1 combo as a play toy over Xmas vacation. I love it and doing all kinds of fun stuff. If you need some help with the workflow of making something on plasma or your bambu I can help making the learning curve short.

1 Like

Well that sheds a little more light in the topic. You came into this with your eyes wide open!

You had us thinking you were like someone dragging the mill thru the kitchen and setting it up in an apartment without any hands on experience. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I will change my rating of your yet to be realized potential as “great.” This will be fun for all of us!

1 Like

Yeah, what kind of a lunatic would drag a mill through their wife’s kitchen…

Oh, and welcome aboard

2 Likes

This is the legend known as @Cletus. And his marriage survived it!

2 Likes

I am the the boss around here… and I have my wife’s permission to say so! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beers:

5 Likes

“Yeah, what kind of a lunatic would drag a mill through their wife’s kitchen…”

The same Lunatic that washes engine parts in her dishwasher! I am a charter member of that club…

5 Likes

There yuh go! …daughter watching on in disbelief!!
12Volt winch and dish-washing liquid on the floor made easy work of it!

6 Likes

Legend confirmed and certified. Thanks Cletus!

Sorry to disappoint, but no kitchen crossings were involved in this endeavor. Love it though. My wife would have shot me dead doing something like that.

3 Likes

That XR is a thing of beauty! …a buddy here just bought one, it’s on the island and will hopefully clear customs next week. I will assist where needed with setup. I believe I will have good access to this machine when needed too. No way I could fit that beast in my shop. Today I’m servicing and re-calibrating my CNC 4-axis Mini Mill (Grizzly G8689), got a couple limit switch issues to sort out yet.

3 Likes

All sorted out:

5 Likes