Lower pierce delay in favor of lead-in

Hello,

I was watching a Two Guys Make Stuff video on YouTube and he was going through his cutting profile in Fusion 360. It looked like he was cutting 16g mild steel, with a Hypertherm 45xp.

When it came to setting the lead in, he set it to 0.0. The way he got around the hole/notch created when the torch pierces was to set the pierce delay to 0.02 seconds. It gave enough time to pierce and move before it could ball out the start.

I haven’t tried it yet, but thought I would share since it sounded interesting.

-Dan

1 Like

He must not have the Langmuir electronics. I cannot get past FireControl with that short of a pierce delay. I need more than 0.60 seconds otherwise I get the alert and machine stop: “Movement sensed before torch fired”…or some such wording.

1 Like

They are running Mach3 on what looks like Wright 4x8 plasma table with a 45xp.

1 Like

Are you using a longer USB cable or even a longer torch? I read somewhere that using longer cables can require a longer delay… not disputing just wondering. Could even be just your plasma likes them longer.

2 Likes

On the pro there is about .4sec +/- of latency in the trigger circuit. .6 is really a Pierce time of .2sec +/-. I ve run 14 ga stainless programs at a .365sec which is the minimum I can set mine too with of faulting too much. .365sec is about 0 seconds of Pierce delay. Your latency may be different depending on your setup, if you have a 50’ torch length you ll have more.

I ll try to find the note from hypertherm that talks about the increased pressure drop and latency with their longer leads. I ve posted it on the forum in the past.

4 Likes

Yes, I am using a 16 foot USB cable which could be a reason I need the longer delay. It is easy enough to overcome for the value of having laptop further from the sparks.

1 Like