Lost arc again! - SOLVED

Still have not heard back. My VIM was putting out 9 bolts which is way too high. What do I need to do?

Hi @flight66 send an email to support@langmuirsystems.com referencing this forum and we will get you taken care of!

Thank you :+1:

Should have replied sooner. Just wanted to say thanks for the great service. Got the new VIM everything works fine now. Thanks again for sending out a new one.

1 Like

Just an update. My table is cutting great! My arc voltages are running around 100 V. I’m still using Hex 1.05. Its working so good I’m hesitant to upgrade to 1.08. What improvements will Hex 1.08 show compared to hex 1.05?

is there a average voltage range that the CUT60 should be working in? I finally started messing with it yesterday with 16g CR that i’ve been cutting on the original CF cutting the f-bomb as sample cuts.

I fist just ran everything pretty much “stock” with smart voltage set. it cut everything ok except for the outline, in which the Z was rising almost towards the end. I then reread the THC docs and did a straight cut test and the voltage was everywhere from about 50 to 130. So i set nonimal voltage to 120. this time it cut the whole f-bomb but not the greatest. I kept lowering the voltage until i cut cleaner cut and the Z was actually tracking. Settled on 85.

I think i’m about 99% where i was on the original CF as far as cutting goes except i have a slight bevel on the cuts. it seems to go outwards from top to bottom, like if maybe the torch flame is a lil too high than it should be when cutting. Should i try to lower the cut height or is it something with the nominal voltage i have set?

29amp
60psi

If you are seeing arc voltage vary by more than a few volts during a straight cut test, then something is definitely wrong. How do you have the cutter wired?

It’s wired for divided voltage…

Here’s a video of one of last straight line cut I did before settling on 85 nominal volts. The voltage isn’t as jumpy as the first cut I did but it was below the 95 that was set.

When you do a straight cut with THC activate, does it correctly maintin torch stand off distance? Id love to see a similar video but with THC active.

I believe it does… in the pic below, the first cut starting on the left the voltage was set on 120 then 100 then 85 for the last one. The Z seems to have been inching up on the first cut when cutting the perimeter. The last cut seems to maintain torch distance and was perfect except for the slight bevel. I watched the Z coupler make small corrections.

I can cut a straight line test with thc video also to check that out.

Here’s a Straight line cut test video with THC on. Seems like voltage is more sporadic.

Here’s another one with video of the cut.

It looks like the THC is working perfectly, your nominal voltage is 97-- after it pierces and begins the cut the voltage is in the 70s-- the THC moves the torch up until its within the correct arc tolerance.

I’d recommend running smart voltage so there isnt such a disconnect between your cut height from IHS and your cut height from THC.

Thanks for the input… so I should use smart voltage even though im cutting 16gauge? And just out of curiosity, why is it advised to use smart voltage on material 14gauge and up.

Also, any tips on the bevel? I’m thinking I can lower the cut height a bit maybe?

16 gauge deflects more during IHS which will decrease the accuracy of the standoff height. Therefore its usually better to know what the ideal arc voltage is for the correct standoff height by doing a line test. Nevertheless, i’d set to smart voltage and see hows things go.

1 Like

I figured it had something to do with the thickness and the flex of 16g compared to 14 and up but just wanted to make sure :+1:t3:

I’ll try it out with smart voltage today and see what happens.

1 Like

Hey nicaDd, I’ve been resolving some THC issues (think I got 'em fixed) on my Primeweld Cut 60, so reread the THC guide and the FireControl manual.

I’ve been doing test cuts on 20 ga steel and just saw your question to @langmuir-daniel regarding it being advised to use smart voltage on material 14 ga and up. I searched the forum but can’t find any reference to this info?

Just curious if using smart voltage on 20ga may be affecting my cuts and if I need to redirect.

i’ve only done straight line test cuts on 16g on the pro so far to get it somewhat in the ballpark. the very first cut i did was using smart voltage on 16g and it had that Z axis rising syndrome for some reason. worked alot better manual inputting the nominal voltage. now that i got confirmation that it’s working as it should be, i’m going to try the smart voltage again.

I get what Daniel was saying about the flex with 16g compared to 14g. I’m going to start my test on 16g with the IHS over a slat so there won’t be any flexing in the material to see if it works better.

BTW, it references the 14g and over for smart voltage in the THC settings in fire control.

Gotcha. I haven’t had any Z-axis rising syndrome (knock on wood!)… and have only been using THC on 20 ga.

Just FYI, I haven’t been running it specifically over slats, and it seems to be working fine. I can see a bit of deflection, but nothing that is messing up the cut --or so it seems.

My issue with a new table [I’m a new LS owner, brand new to all of this] was that after initiating a session it would cut the 4 interior holes I had, but would then stop after about 3-4" of travel on the part perimeter.

I went through the majority of the LS THC troubleshooting steps, taking all the readings… with all in spec.

I did get a few more inches of torch cutting travel by upping my THC voltage sample size to 200, but still no joy on a completed cut.

I then stumbled across the “FireControl Freezing…” topic and saw where LS was talking about the exponential benefits of more USB-cable wraps in the ferrite choke. So I crammed in one more wrap into the ferrite choke (3 vs 2) and that seriously seemed to solve all my woes. I did a couple of cuts where it finished entirely without any “voltage lost” alarms.

Today I added another ferrite choke with two wraps and did two more successful cuts. Didn’t matter if my laptop was plugged in or not. I even dropped the THC voltage sampling rate back to 180 with no ill effect on the cuts.

BTW, I’m running the latest firmware (1.09) and all seems good now.

1 Like