Lost and not sure where to go

I just assembled my crossfire pro and have a Primeweld 3rd gen cut 60 wired in and using thc on this machine. When I first got everything setup, I had a piece of 11ga diamond plate and was able to successfully cut out 5 or 6 bottle openers using 40Amps and 55 PSI on the air. The thing worked like a dream. Now, I have some flat 11ga steel on the table and using the same 40Amps and 55 PSI, the machine is acting all wonky. When I start the cut, the machine moves but it does not cut and then tosses a thc error. I retry cut and then the machine will start to run, but will turn on the torch late. I stop and restart the cut where now the torch will start to cut immediately but in many places along the paths, will not cut all the way through even if I do 2 or 3 passes and where it does cut now the dross is horrendous when on the 1st initial cuts I made, there was hardly any at all. Is this just a case that the consumables are fouled up from the dirty plate?

Does you plasma cutter manual only call for 55 PSI? this seems way low. Norm is 65-70 while running.
What do you have for your air delivery system?
How many IPM are you trying to cut at?
I would do some searching on here for your brand of cutter and see what you can find.

I would list as much info as you can as people will need to know much more about your setting than what you have posted.

4 Likes

the cut60 has a working psi of 55-75. anything below 10 gauge uses 55psi.

book settings are somewhat accurate with some tweaking involve but not much.

2 Likes

40 amps needs 65psi to work properly. If your using a machine torch it will need 5 to 7 more psi air to work properly. 55 psi does not work well on the primeweld plasma cutter.

You also need to make sure your work clamp is on the metal not the table or slats.

And make sure your torch height is set to .060" no higher.

1 Like

what are you using for moisture control?

Also, have you tried replacing the consumables to see if that fixes the issue?

i would have to disagree with you on the psi part. I 've run material from 16-10 gauge running one of your machine torches all at 55psi. maybe another 2-3 higher for the thicker material.

the thing with the cut60 is that you need to set the front psi dial about 5 psi higher than your working pressure. for some reason it drops about that much during cuts.

All plasma cutter drop a few pounds of air pressure from static to flow. The thing is I have seen a lot and tested a lot of primewelds and they work best from 60 to 75 psi. I know the book states 55 psi but there are some that will not fire at 55 psi.

2 Likes

From the cut 60 manual, it lists 10ga as 40 Amps, 55 PSI 86.6 ipm and then 3/16th it is 45 amps, 60 PSI at 63 ipm so since we’re only at 1/64" diff between 10 and 11 gauge, I probably would be best served just running running the 10ga settings

I have noticed that on this torch when I flip the switch to set air and dial it in to say 55, that when I go back to 2t mode, it is 5 psi higher.

that’s how it should be. set it 5 psi higher that what you want it to be.

1 Like

I have 2 dessicant filled separators followed by a water separator before going into the machine. soon in the works will be an air dryer made out of some copper pipes with at least 4 drains. and will still use the filters and separators inline as well.

I just did replace the consumables which did provide a cleaner cut for sure, but am now having some thc faults / issues and the torch randomly firing, but I have traced this down to the pigtail (my bad soldering job) coming off the back of the plasma cutter box.

1 Like