Looking to purchase the xr

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time. I have plenty of experience running a multifuel table that was 12’ x78’ in an industrial mining/construction shop so while familiar with the process and function along with CAD. I am not familiar with the smaller tables (They seem fragile). I am researching the XR and the premier plasma 5 x 10. Either one will be paired with a Hypertherm 45xp. I have an insulated shop which is already adequately plumbed for air with a Quincy qt5 providing adequate air and I will need 220 ran to that portion of the shop. Primary purpose of this table is to augment my own work as well as offer cutting service in my area of rural ND. I know I will need to add the following things but please list or provide any insight of things i may be forgetting.

Motor Guard M-30 Submicronic Compressed Air Filter
Consumable kit for the Hypertherm
Ventilation fan for the table to the exterior
Material

CAD CAM software
Maybe a refrigerated drier
Desiccant drier or equivalent
water table additive
some way to transfer files to computer on table, flash drive or internet connection

2 Likes

Thanks Knick,

I already do CAD/CAM for other things so I should have listed that as taken care of. While I operated and maintained the big table we just ran straight bleach per the Techs instructions I have not considered treating the water as I will have animals running in and out of the shop. I will look into the additives

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum. It looks like you and Knick have a good preliminary list.

With the consumables, be sure to get the fine-cut for stainless steel. I have the Hypertherm 45XP and tried several times to be successful with typical consumables and was about to give up on ever cutting stainless. Tin (TinWhisperer) shared his settings with fine-cut using compressed air (no special gas) and I tried it and was amazed.

The 45XP does an exceptional job with metal up to 1/2 inch plate but if you are thinking cutting heavier stuff on regular basis, you might consider moving up to the 65Sync.

And I have the Pro table. I think you are right to be thinking about the XR as being more capable.

2 Likes

I don’t have an xr but I’ve had a 2x4 table used several times a week with thousands of cuts over the last 5 years. I’ve never once used an additive and don’t see the purpose/need. Seems like a way for a company to separate you from your money.

Do you run just plain water?
If so do you ever have to change it out?

Yea, straight from the tap. I just dump more in when it gets low. Never had an issue with rust or anything. Homemade water table is 12g carbon steel with paint. Almost 4 years old with zero rust. Need to pull the slats and shovel it out, it’s getting pretty deep in there now, so it takes less water :joy:

2 Likes

Wow I would have never guessed no rust. But now that I think about it the cutting process does leave a oily film on everything around it.