Logo is changing from Inkscape...to Sheetcam..then to Fire COntrol.....help

ok…here a problem I am having and for the life of me I can not figure it out.
I am attaching pictures…the SVG file and the TAP file …
I have a logo I am about to cut…and my spider sense was all abuz when I opened the file from Inkscape into Sheetcam…aI noticed a bumbo on the top of the logo…
I put that down to poor graphics card
then I created the G-code and opened it in FC…
and the bump and dent at the top of the logo gets bigger…
Spider sense really bugging me now…
So I decided to run a “dry Run” in FC with a marker on the steel…just to see…

now not only do I get a bump and a dent at the top of the logo…but the circle has shifted off center by 11mm between the top rings and the bottom rings…they are not even now…

What is wrong here??
Logo ready to cut 1.0.tap (3.8 KB)

Logo ready to cut 1.0.dxf (12.5 KB)

1 Like

Unfortunately you didn’t attach the SVG file (unless the DXF file is really an SVG and you’re trying to see just how much we can figure out on our own)…
Nope, that’s not it. It really is a DXF file. Do you have an SVG file or should we look at the DXF instead?

1 Like

Every time I try to load the svg it comes over as a picture…

2 Likes

Either zip it or just rename it with a new file extension like dxf. Then the downloader can change it back.

But the picture version of the SVG on the forum should be downloadable as an SVG by using Chrome as the browser, right mouse click and “safe as” and it will download as an SVG.

My guess is you’ve got either disconnected or overlapping nodes there. I’m on my phone so I can’t download your file to check that, but it’s fairly common.

try this and see if it works for the svg file
Logo ready to cut 1.0.zip (1.6 KB)

This looks pretty clean to me! Given your results, [IGNORE THIS: you might want to check your table movements. Dry run it and watch what happens at the key points.] UPDATE: I re-read your post and realized the problem happens from SheetCam. I’d reinstall the post processor or maybe even SheetCam altogether…

Note that I moved the starts with this setup so they’re away from the corner piece.

Scratch what I said above :flushed:
On a hunch I opened the TAP file with SheetCam and got this…

Something DEFINITELY wrong with your Operation, Tool, or Machine settings…
OR you didn’t create the TAP file from the SVG file you posted…
LogoReadyToCutFromTapCloseup
Close up of the logo from above.
Note that this tap file has the material size set to 100x200 inches and the point in ‘outer space’ is WAY out there!

1 Like

I will delete all my tap and g code files again and go back to my inkscape and resave and try again.
Everything I posted was direct from my timeline of action.

I would recommend, if the produced TAP doesn’t change, to take a long hard look at your SheetCam settings. To check this, do the post process to produce the new TAP file, then, in SheetCam, open a new file, choosing G-Code as the data type, and select the TAP file you just produced.

If you don’t see anything obvious in the settings, zip up your .Job file and post it, we’ll take a look at your settings.

2 Likes

As I suspected, your drawing is effed. There are a bunch of bad intersections (circled in red). Sheetcam does a decent job of connecting errant open nodes. I suspect the top one was just too much for it.

This is what the top couple look like after I’ve joined the nodes to get rid of the breaks and leave one path. You may only need to fix the top one since Sheetcam handled the others, but I’d go and clean up all of them so that you can control the shaping of the path and smooth it where you’d like it to smooth out.

This is why I try not to use DXF. The DXF format does not support true curves so you get these whacked segments where it approximates a curve. It’s okay for some kinds of drawing as they won’t necessarily be discernible by the eye, but they wreak havoc with computer controlled machines that hit the breaks. SVG is a much better format. Keep to that and you’ll be better off.

2 Likes

Interestingly, in Adobe Illustrator I don’t see the path issues. It actually looks very clean. I loaded up into Sheetcam directly from the SVG and it looks clean there too. Ran the post processor and looks clean there - but the output file is very different from your tap file…
Note: I used 1:1 scale on import.

This diff off the files shows the second pierce - you can see how different they are - mine is on the right and yours on the left.

I’d say it’s definitely the sheetcam post processor or a sheetcam setting being off. I seem to remember something about an arc setting in the post file that caused some strange stuff in the 1.3/1.4 post era…but your post does say it’s 1.6…hmmmm…

Very strange we are all seeing different symptoms…Here’s my tap for reference. It was produced from importing your svg into sheetcam and then applying a tool to generate the path and then generating the post. I’m using latest 1.6 post.

Logo ready to cut 1.0-good.tap (2.5 KB)

2 Likes

I’d say your findings and conclusion are the same as mine. The JOB file would tell us exactly where the problem is.

1 Like

different is right…
I load my original SVG and there are not any breaks or issues with it at all.
Last night I was showing and IT friend look at what I was doing…now he knows nothing about SVG and G-code…and we had a few drinks, Wisers Whiskey…I mean the lable says a lot…and it should make us Wiser…
well…loaded it the way I walways do and it went all the way to FC without any problems…even did a dry run and it looked great…
so once I get ove this little head ache I will go out to the shop and try again…
I will try sheetcam with the SVG file instead of the dxf file…
I will do a run without torch on but with a marker in the holder…

no more head ache and no more issues…
I am really not sure what when wrong…what the issue was…
but it cut out perfectly fine this time…

all fixed…

thanks guys…I took a lot of information from you guys…
use SVG into Sheetcam…not DFX
Play around with file types and look at the gcode…

the most important…Wisers Whisky does help!!!

1 Like

fact-check-true

Glad to hear it’s working!

Is StreetCam better and what’s the cost? More money right !
We’re do I get it, does L/S still have it and 10 % off ot what ever it was ? I need help . Getting ready to try this again don’t what to have to sell it never used .

sheetcam is a post processor to take a SVG or DFX file and converts it to the lagnuage Firecontrol reads.
Yes it is available from Langmuir…and yes it costs money…

1 Like