Loading Fire Control

I’m in the assembly process of an XR table. I do not have internet in my shop.

My question is: can I take the flatscreen and mini-pc off the table, bring them to my office, load the FireControl software and then reconnect to the table? The issue is only if the table must be connected for some reason when loading the software.
Appreciate any help.

1 Like

Yes, you can. The screen will be grayed out till you plug in the USB to the control box.

What is your plan for getting Fusion files to FireControl? USB?

Where is the shop with respect to your Internet connection?
It would be extremely easy to buy a WiFi Access point that acts as a Bridge. The Bridge would connect, via WiFi to your home network and then provide an Ethernet connector for your XR machine.

This guy will do it for $19.99.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-Extenders-Internet-Supports/dp/B08DHLCLCY

3 Likes

I was planning to USB thumbdrive or portable harddrive to bring Fusion or Affinity files to the shop.

1 Like

a decent internet connection is only a couple of hundred feet away.
I have set up my phone as a hotspot and left it outside and I can connect to it but the connection is unstable and would never get me though a download of any size.
I will definitely checkout that extender - if it boosts the signal it could be a perfect answer,
Thanks.

You’re welcome. TP-Link is a reliable brand and if this ‘cheap’ solution doesn’t work, then I’m sure this one will:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WA801N-Wireless-Supports-Multi-SSID/dp/B08GS211V9
I’ve used this on my CNC Router and it worked like a charm. Oh, and it’s the same price as the other device… :grinning:
I think the first one is more compact though.

Good luck. And Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

One other point, keep the access point or bridge away from the Plasma Cutter and its cable. DAMHIKT!

2 Likes

Thank you - and I bet there’s a good story behind that learning.

Ubiqui Networks Nanostation M5 Locom5 Indoor/Outdoor Airmax Cpe 5Ghz High-Power 2X2 Mimo Point To Point Ptp Bridging (2-Pack) Amazon.com

I use several of these at the marina for cameras. They work great without having almost any loss. It is pretty quickly set up, also.
I have one set about 1/2 mile apart. They just have to have an unobstructed line of site to work.

1 Like

If you need long range and/or high performance AND have line of sight, Yeah - the Cat’s Meow.
If all you need is to connect Firecontrol to WWW, major overkill.

2 Likes

Perfect - line of site should be no problem. Appreciate the help.

TomWS is correct. The extenders are your best bet to just send files to FireControl.

1 Like

That, or bury some Cat-5 / 6.

2 Likes

But I want to know!? :joy:

But keep in mind, the gcode files, that run the table, are tiny!

If you wanted to edit a sketch in Fusion, on a weak internet connection, it would be pure torture.

2 Likes

I’m not a Cat person, but burying them? I’m not sure about this. I much prefer leaving them for Tether Cat…
TetherCat

3 Likes

I buried cat6 cable run from house router to my shop plugged into Linksys extender in shop. trouble free for two and half years now, can use my phone in shop as well now.
Bought cat 6 cable and extender at best buy 40 dollars all in. I send my tap/g code files to One Drive and open on my XR table one drive file computer to cut quick and easy all wireless. Pics of extender and cable conduit on outside shop wall .

3 Likes

You can use ‘Direct Burial CAT 6 Cable’ to avoid requiring Conduit in the ground. That is what I have from my house to my workshop. Been trouble free for 12 years. It’s filled with Silicone Grease so absolutely no corrosion. Messy to hook up though… :wink:

3 Likes

To hook to the fiber optic line at another house, the utility company required us to bury a 2 inch conduit from the house to the post (about 130 feet away). It seemed like an awful large size for the small cable that was later pulled thru. Easy pulling I would imagine. I was not there when it was done.