Limit Switches are cheap

I have not replaced them yet as they are not fun to do. I have turned off all safeties.

Upgraded them

Not sure I understand this. I was happy to have been able to put another hour on it and with all the safeties off it works

Thank you Reilly. That is all I can ask. I can not remember the techs name but I am sure he will remember our calls.

You are correct but my beef is the time and the fabrication it would take to do this.

That is amazing to me. Maybe it has to do with the mix I am using.
1/4 pound of sodium nitrite powder (rust inhibitor)
1 teaspoon of Physan 20 (anti fungus)
1.5 oz Blue food-grade dye (contrast additive)
Mix well, treats 75 gallons of water.

How often do you use this machine?

Buy plasma specific water additive! My pro is almost 4 years old now and have no corrosion, I spray wd-40 and use 3in 1 oil on it twice a week.

1 Like

Can I ask what you use?? I picture this as a very expensive additive you change 2 times a year?

Plasma green 9010, for steel as well as aluminum. No residue or smelly fumes. 5-gallon jug is $150 with shipping. I have a water tank under my pro and my XR table, at end of day I drain back into tanks. The additive doesn’t evaporate, just top off with water every once in a while, 5 gallons have lasted over 4 years. now.
What’s expensive? is the table you purchased if not maintained, $150 vs $3-7 thousand dollar tables, I will spend the 150 to protect my investment…

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this I will need to check and see if sterling cool is the same

Sterling cool will work just as well.

1 Like

I am using it and just wondered if it was like yours and doesn’t evaporate

I use Sterling cool. Works wonderful. No problems at all.

1 Like

Can you help me understand this?
You drain this every night? Do you have drain ports in each pan

4 years?? The pan on a XL is (rounding up) 100g. This mix is 3% I think is what I see. So if it were 100g at 3% that’s 3g of concentrate?
I just cut a 1/4" plate 4x4 and probably lost 2g on the ground from splatter. Do you just top this off once a week or how do you maintain the levels?
I would purchase 5g in a minute if it lasted 4yrs I just don’t understand how it can last that long that’s why I thought it was expensive. I have completely changed the fluid twice this year alone and again I only have 2.5 hours on it. This doesn’t include evaporation which I get.

My pro drain tank setup. 20-gallon tank

My XR drain tank 75 gallons.

Yes I drain tables at end of day, have shut off valves and electric pump to fill back through drains. Just add water to top off once a month. 2%

2 Likes

If your job is taking up the entire table, and the cuts are near the edge, then you may loose some. If your floor is clean, mop it up and put it back in.

Otherwise be selective of where your work zero is at and keep it away from the edges so you don’t get the splash.

Have a look on Mouser and DigiKey for switches.

2 Likes

Kinda funny you say that. I was just next door on the MR1 site and they seem to be having the same issues. They posted a link to some better switches that can take fluid. I think my original post is correct that these switches are garbage.
Langmuir still hasn’t posted a reply

1 Like

Nothing is impossible, could also be a bad lot from the mfg, or the mfg changed the spec on the internal components for some reason and it is prone to being unfriendly in other than clean environments.

I used the same switch to control my exhaust brake on my 02 Dodge Ram for 15 years. On the throttle pedal subjected to dust, mud, snow…never had a problem other than literally packed with nature and had to be cleaned out around the detent portion and the lever.

This is a comment in regards to those of us who have had trouble with the limit switches or who will have trouble in the future

I was getting a live voltage reading like so many others on one of the limit switches and purchased some new ones that one of the other members shared a link for. I reinstalled them but noticed i was still getting a live voltage of around 5 volts even though it was a new switch. I know it was something with that particular switch because when i depressed it the live voltage went to zero. Puzzled, i took it off again but left it plugged in and noticed my live voltage went back to zero. So it dawned on me that maybe the screws are grounding out the switch somehow creating a voltage reading. So i purchased some nylon screws from amazon and installed those instead and so far i dont have a live voltage reading which is a relief.

Another thing i changed was the limit switch location. I got tired of cramming my big hands in a tight space to try and unscrew them so i moved them to the outside of the gantry uprights for easier access and used a piece of flatbar to move the limit switch stop further out

Here is the link to the nylon screws on amazon, this was an assorted box since it was the only one i could get overnight, the nylon screw that i needed was the m2.5x10 mm and you can order just that but it might take longer to get in from amazon

MCMASKE 750PCS Metric M2 M2.5 M3 M4 M5 M6 Nylon Phillips Pan Head Screws Hex Nuts Flat Washers Assortment Kit(Black) Amazon.com

2 Likes

Great info. Might give that a try.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!