Limit switch homing issue

Hi everyone I just got my crossfire pro all set up with the limit switch kit and I updated the firmware to 1.3ls, reset to factory defaults, closed the fire control software, and restarted it and when I toggle on the limit switch control and click the machine (home) button while on the machine tab it rams the (y or x depending which is closer) limit switch and keeps trying to move unless I manually cancel the homing operation and once canceled there is a warning that the limit switch was tripped but it didn’t cut off the movement. Both limit switches do appear to be working when I manually jog the machine into them they cut off the movement and the warning appears. I’m wondering if anyone’s experienced this issue or has a fix for it. I haven’t set up any soft or hard limits and they are disabled as of now until I can get the machine homed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Leave them disabled. Table works perfectly without them. Again this is just my two cents… Just search limit switch issues. Page after page. :grin:

2 Likes

Have you upgraded your Firecontrol to v21.1.5? That is also a required update per Langmuir. I am new as well and don’t have much run time to go on (take for what it’s worth), but I just went through the table build, limit switch install and THC about a month ago. So far, I have had no issues but I am going to knock on wood now just in case… :joy:

In addition to Firecontrol software upgrade (unless you already upgraded) I would crack the case open (if you haven’t already) and go through to double check the install step by step. If you have done everything that Langmuir advises to do in the install manual, I would take it up with them as they seem to stand behind their product. https://assets.langmuirsystems.com/file/LimitSwitchKit_InstallationGuide_v3.pdf

It’s really weird that the limit switches will activate when manually jogging, but not when homing. I really don’t want to speculate, but kinda makes me think a software vs hardware issue. Hopefully you can work your way though the issue. As long as their properly functioning I like the idea of limit switches, as it’s one less thing that I have to keep an eye on. One thing to note (for when/if you get them functioning) is that it makes them a lot easier to use if you home your machine before powering off. This is the position that the machine thinks it is in when you power it up, as it has no memory of it’s location prior to powering down the machine last time used. Assuming your soft fence is set, you will already be oriented and ready to cut.

Did you go to menu and type in travel dimensions for table and in your cam program?

I just checked and my firecontrol firmware is up to date at v21.1.5 it must be a software/hardware issue somehow. I also just checked and I do have everything properly installed which makes sense since it worked when I manually jog it into them getting a warning and killing movement. Seems to me like it might be a firecontrol issue during the homing sequence because the warning does appear in the background once I close out of the canceled home run but the warning doesn’t seem to be affecting the homing movement for some reason. Also I haven’t set any limits yet since I haven’t completed the first home to zero the x,y per the instructions do you think I should enable the soft limits in the menu tab and try homing it or would this be a bad idea since it’s not zeroed in the home position?

Not to say that it would help, but maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling Firecontrol?

I am using my Mac to control it but I also have a cheap windows laptop that I had to install firecontrol on to update the machine but the issue is occurring on both platforms… there’s probably not a fix for it unless there’s a new update I’m guessing

Certainly strange, but a variety of variables. For my table/Firecontrol computer I’m running a $100 refurb’d HP mini PC that I picked up off of Amazon shortly after getting into the table assembly… Nothing special on my end. With two computers having the same issue, maybe the firmware didn’t properly update or there is a harware issue of some sorts. I’d get with Langmuir if all else fails.

Hey there, i’m not sure if you are still having this issue but i had the same issue until i realized that i had the limit switch wires crossed, you’ve got the Y axis wires hooked to the X axis and the X to the Y. When its trying to home its running the motors until the corresponding limit switch gets hit and its getting confused, i switched the wiring and it worked great now.

For anyone else searching this here is my cause…one of the hanging wires moved and got pinched between the tram and the bracket not allowing the switch to close…oh boy, sometimes I wonder how I made it this long without doing major damage to myself.

2 Likes

I am having the identical issue as you Greg and I haven’t been able to solve the homing issue and have done everything everyone else that’s been suggested as far as I know. I zero a few steps before the switches and hit home and it keeps driving although if I trigger them manually they stop.

Describe in a bit more detail what is happening.

1. Is the gantry driving up against the back left corner? If so, can you verify that it is actually depressing the limit switch? Test it with a volt-ohm meter. Perhaps the switch is defective.

2. To test without so many variables, turn off the soft limits. They have nothing to do with homing the machine and can be set wrong so that you will never be able to get the gantry in a position that it assumes is “Home.” Now see if it “homes” correctly.

3. And you are sure the wires are not crossed?

“Zero-ing all axes” has nothing to do with the “HOME” position. That zero position relates to “Go to Work Zero” location. See if that command works. a. Zero all axes and then b. press [Go To Work Zero] button located on the upper left corner of the FireControl screen.

Thanks for the response

-I reset to factory settings in the limit switch window which allows me to manually click the X and Y1 switches which correspond as activated on Fire Control panel to check they are working. (If I hit the switches without resetting it will bring up an error when I manually trip the switches.)

• I bring the gantry’s up to the top left corner with both axis about a 1/6" of an inch before hitting the switches

-I turn on the limit switches but keep the soft stops disabled which are reading 0 for X and Y

-I hit home and they trip the switches but the motors keep driving so I quickly shut the control box off and manually back of the gantry’s from the switches by hand to not damage the motors

I Tried This to check

• I moved the gantrys to the middle of the table

• turned limit switch on with no soft stop

• hit Home and left enough travel time to manually hit both X and Y before the machine got to the upper left corner to hit the switches

• I hit both switches and the gantry’s went from 300 ipm to 50 (or very slow) in both directions. They both stopped, reversed direction for about an 1/8" of an inch (which I think its supposed to do) then reversed back towards the original direction of travel for about 3/8" and then stopped, No error messages.

It seems that it’s doing something it’s supposed to do, but backwards.

Manually hit switch during Home sequence - stop reverse 1/16" - stop and reverse again for 3/8" stop -rest position randomly in cutting area (because I hit the switches before it got to the corner) - no error

Auto Home - hit switches - doesn’t stop - motor still engaged and grinding at hard stop - shut off control box

So when you manually trip the switch, the motors acknowledge that. That makes me think that the gantry is not fully tripping the switch. When you press it with your fingers, you are getting a different reaction than when the gantry structure hits it.

Inspect that contact. If possible, put a ohm tester so you can see if the switch is being triggered when you press the switch and then again when the gantry collides with the switch. I suspect that it is not completely being triggered.

That is possible when the wires are switched and also when you first set it up: turn everything off and then back on again (you probably already have, but in case that you did not). When I first did the appropriate update of firmware it looked as if it didn’t correct my backwards movement but then the next time I tried it corrected.

Yes. That is why I say, the switch is not being completely triggered.

1 Like

I tested it manually again but this time triggering one switch at a time and realized the X was stopping the Y and the Y was stopping the X. I had help putting the table together but although I checked the control box connections trying to figure this out, I didn’t check that the switches were in the right axis. Since you thought it was the switches and not the software or other issues, I just focused on that and switched them and it is homing properly now. Thank you very much for the help.

3 Likes

Ahhh!!! Finally. Those limit switches have the ability to trip you up.

The moral of this story is: In the end, you will be the one to find your solution.

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

3 Likes