Leveling Foot Insert Substituted with Caster Insert?

I ordered just the standard Crossfire Pro. I did not order casters. I’m searching through all of my boxes and bags for the “leveling foot inserts” but can’t seem to find them. Could it be that the bag of four “caster inserts” have been a substitution? It came with the bag of leveling feet, though. It looks like the caster inserts will perform the same job. Please advise.

The leg inserts don’t look like the pictures in the instructions. If what you have fits in the legs and the leveling feet screw into them, they are right.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t want to just make assumptions and wind up painting myself into a corner that I could only escape from with a sledge, chisel, and Dremel tool. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Read the assembly instructions thoroughly in each step of assembly and look at pics closely. the assembly instructions will answer your own questions.

2 Likes

That is where the problem lies. This is the picture in the instructions

This is what the included inserts look like
Caster insert

1 Like

While Langmuir has a note in there that says the ones you will get don’t look like the picture, why can’t they update the online instructions? Seems like a no-brainer to me… Eliminate these simple points of confusion.

3 Likes

You aren’t the first and you certainly wont be the last to be confused by this step. I went through my bags several times before I noticed the note saying they may not look the same. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks everyone – it was my very first step and wasn’t quite sure what to expect and wanted to do it right. (The kids were working with me, one reading instructions and the other two searching through boxes and bags.) I think the new part is probably much better with the spring loaded barbs to lock things in. I thought we’d read the instructions pretty well, but seem to have missed the part that said the item was different from the illustration. Glad you all are here to help. I’ll be back cranking through things in the coming evenings and this weekend. EDIT – also, it’s probably good we documented this for the next person who runs into it.

2 Likes

i thought i read the instructions thoroughly and even so, i swear i wound put taking apart and reassembling the top frame and bearing blocks 4 times!!! always my own fault. lol.

2 Likes

Yeah thanks for posting a pic of this, I just got the email that the first box of my system shipped out yesterday and I expect it’s going to be the main body. This would have confused me too, those two parts look very different at least different enough that I would have felt the need to ask as well.

1 Like

The CF Pro machine only comes with leveling feet w/inserts. What you are thinking that the “caster inserts” is actually a “leveling feet inserts”. The inserts will slip inside of the square tubing then you screw in the leveling feet into the inserts.

1 Like

Any idea what the thread pitch is on the leveling feet inserts? Would you be able to just screw in casters into the leveling feet inserts if they have the same thread pitch? Would the leveling feet inserts be able to handle the lateral loads that casters could generate? I’d really like to just screw in casters, I know McMaster/Carr sells caster inserts that fit into these legs but if the leveling feet inserts will work why buy an extra part.

The illustration refers to the bolts as M10. So I would assume it’s whatever standard pitch is for a 10mm diameter thread. But you know what happens when you assume. I’m using the standard setup with the simple leveling feet for now, but there are some pretty cool cut/weld/fab inserts that bolt to heavy-duty casters that I plan to use once I get everything up and running.